4 year old autistic boy - stem cell therapy

Hi,

Anyone you know who did stem cell therapy for their child. Please let me know if it worth using this therapy.

regards

mom

• You're welcome. Sadly yes, there are many 'clinics' offering this and other unproven and potentially harmful 'treatments' for autism, preying on parent's vulnerability and desperation. The WHO can do little except offer guidance, they are not an enforcement agency, and if these practices are tolerated legally by the countries they are based in, there's little anyone can do. As a scientist, I always say that if e.g. homeopathy could cure cancer, or AIDS, or bleach drops or 'stem cells' address the most disabling levels of autism (as there are some positives to being non-neutypical, of course), it would be the most wonderful thing in the world, but until there's evidence from properly performed studies of the effectiveness, and most importantly the safety, of such treatments, it is unethical to allow children (and their parents) to suffer and waste their resources on them. 

Out of interest, most of these centres use bone-marrow derived stem cells from the patient, known as a self- or 'autologous' transplant, as this largely eliminates the risk of the patient's immune system attacking the injected cells. The extraction process is painful, a large-bore needle is inserted into the pelvic bone, generally, or femur. It is possible to 'reprogram' other cells to become stem cells, this has been achieved in laboratory experiments, but it's unlikely to be widely applicable. And any transplant of stem cells that were not developed from the patient's own tissue runs additional risks of 'rejection', where the patient's immune system reacts to and destroys the injected cells, or even worse 'graft vs host disease', where the foreign injected or transplanted cells actually start attacking the patient themselves. 

I hope that in time properly conducted research will be able to find ways to help your son, particularly if there are severe difficulties in his and your life due to his autism. I will leave you with this very apt quote from Tim Minchin, the Aussie performed and sceptic - 'you know what they call alternative medicine that works? Medicine.'

• Thanks a lot for response in detail, but there are many such clinics all around globe. They are playing with innocent kids life. WHO must take actions against them. There will definitely be side effect if taking out blood from bone marrow. There is another technique used in malasiya through placidway. They claim they create there own stem cell. I think humans are still unable to create cell. China adopting another way, eventually it will effect child health. 

• thanks thats what i had found out 7-8 years ago & hadnt really time to research it again

• I am a medical scientist by training and work in Pharma on clinical trials etc. I would strongly advise that you do not go down this route. As yet there is no high-quality evidence for any stem-cell therapy in autism. There is also not, to my knowledge from what's known about the underlying basis of autism and its manifestations (although still limited), any reasonable mechanism by which 'stem cells' could even make a difference. Stem cells are basically human cells that have not yet been 'programmed' to form any particular body tissue, like muscle, nerve, or liver cells. So while some very early-stage studies have shown they might be useful in regenerating damaged tissue, like after a heart attack or injury to the spinal cord, there's no 'injury' or 'lack' of cells in autism that they could potentially treat.  It's a bit like when electricity was first discovered by the Victorians, they were using it as 'cures' for anything and everything.

There have been a few very limited trials in very small numbers of patients, mostly by the guy in the video posted who has a commercial interest in the treatment, with very variable outcomes, and mostly uncontrolled - that means there was no group who *didn't* receive the treatment to compare it to, so it's not clear whether any improvements seen would have happened anyway as the child developed. Suggestions of a potential benefit through anti-inflammatory or cell signalling molecules could be worth investigating but could likely be achieved without using cell-based therapies, and again would need further strong evidence from clinical trials. There were also safety issues in some patients including seizures.

So in my view, although larger and better designed trials may refine this approach, stem cell therapy in its current form is not a magic bullet; at best you would be wasting your money; at worst you could be risking your child's health - little is known about the long term side effects of stem cell treatments, and as they are potent, rapidly dividing cells there is a potential risk of certain cancers. Add to that the invasive and painful nature of the treatment itself. Your child would be best served by following evidence-based approaches to supporting development of autistic children. I hope this is helpful, please feel free to ask me any more questions. 

Edited to add: I have Asperger's and I have a five year old son who so far does not appear to show signs of ASD. I understand how difficult it must be and how desparately you must want to help - I was not diagnosed until later, and had a lot of problems as a result. However, even if my son was autistic I personally would not go down the route of any therapy with as little clinical evidence as this treatment has.