Mam who's confused

Hi everyone, my 18 year old son has just been referred for a diagnosis. He's just finished college and is now struggling to fit in to the wide world (job hunting etc) and his anxiety is through the roof. Has anyone any tips I could share with him? I have heard that the diagnosis process can take around 2 years in Wales. Has anyone gone private while still on the NHS waiting list, how long would that take and how much does it cost. Thank you all

Parents
  • Their is issues with the private Diagnosis route that no one seems to talk about, If you do decide to go for a private assessment you could be paying around £1000 to around £2800 for a diagnosis. Some Local authorities In England and Wales do not accept private Diagnosis as evidence of of autism spectrum disorder which could impact your sons ability to financial support and care so you need to check with your local authority.

This is why it is suggested that you go through the national health service. If you do decide to go private make sure it is being overseen by someone working within the national health service as reduces the risk of the diagnosis being disregarded by your local authority and the department of work and pensions when used to acquire support and Benefits. Even if you do Decide to go private it is also recommend you that you stay on the waiting list for an official NHS Diagnosis.

The private diagnosis route can be an expensive waste of time if the organisation or company performing the diagnosis is not associated with national health service in some way and in some cases organisation have taken advantage and perform an initial assessment at the cost of £1000s of pounds without performing a full assessment or providing a valid diagnosis.

The Private Diagnosis do have their Advantages in that they are more likely to recognise and diagnose any other comorbid neurological developmental disorder and specific learning condition during the assessment Such as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Sensory Processing Disorder or specific learning learning disabilities like Dyslexia and Dyspraxia. It depends on the organisation you choose to Diagnosis your son but it could be an extra £500 to £1000 to assess and statement your son for every condition that he might have. 

If your son has any comorbid disorder and specific learning disorder and decide to go through the NHS it is quite common for doctors to mess up the referral to diagnostic Teams, In many cases they will only place indiuvals on one waiting list at a time and with the fragmentation of diagnostic service one for autism and others for specific neurodevelopmental disorders and specific learning disabilities it could be wait of two years or more for each diagnosis. Another massive issues is diagnostic service are they overwhelmed and it quite common to be lost in the administration system it's now recommended that you harass your doctors and the diagnostic service every month to make sure that you son doesn't accidentally wait longer because they lost him in the system.        

• Their is issues with the private Diagnosis route that no one seems to talk about, If you do decide to go for a private assessment you could be paying around £1000 to around £2800 for a diagnosis. Some Local authorities In England and Wales do not accept private Diagnosis as evidence of of autism spectrum disorder which could impact your sons ability to financial support and care so you need to check with your local authority.

This is why it is suggested that you go through the national health service. If you do decide to go private make sure it is being overseen by someone working within the national health service as reduces the risk of the diagnosis being disregarded by your local authority and the department of work and pensions when used to acquire support and Benefits. Even if you do Decide to go private it is also recommend you that you stay on the waiting list for an official NHS Diagnosis.

The private diagnosis route can be an expensive waste of time if the organisation or company performing the diagnosis is not associated with national health service in some way and in some cases organisation have taken advantage and perform an initial assessment at the cost of £1000s of pounds without performing a full assessment or providing a valid diagnosis.

The Private Diagnosis do have their Advantages in that they are more likely to recognise and diagnose any other comorbid neurological developmental disorder and specific learning condition during the assessment Such as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Sensory Processing Disorder or specific learning learning disabilities like Dyslexia and Dyspraxia. It depends on the organisation you choose to Diagnosis your son but it could be an extra £500 to £1000 to assess and statement your son for every condition that he might have. 

If your son has any comorbid disorder and specific learning disorder and decide to go through the NHS it is quite common for doctors to mess up the referral to diagnostic Teams, In many cases they will only place indiuvals on one waiting list at a time and with the fragmentation of diagnostic service one for autism and others for specific neurodevelopmental disorders and specific learning disabilities it could be wait of two years or more for each diagnosis. Another massive issues is diagnostic service are they overwhelmed and it quite common to be lost in the administration system it's now recommended that you harass your doctors and the diagnostic service every month to make sure that you son doesn't accidentally wait longer because they lost him in the system.        

Children
  • i did not know that ! and explains why someone was asking me if their diagnosis was valid. I said yes because the Doctor was so skilled.  Turns out she does do work for the NHS which  means all is OK.  I need to check out if same applies where i live.