Bestfriend

Hey I’m Alfie and my bestfriend/amazing girlfriend had ASD and I would to understand more about it! So I can help her out and make her feel so much better about herself as she feels really alienatedPurple hearty her ASD and difference when in reality she’s amazing and beautiful and there’s nothing wrong with having ASD is there anything you can tell me Purple heart

Parents
  • It'd be pretty hard to explain ASD in just 50 pages of a book - as humans, we're complicated and there's lots of similarities and differences between those of us with ASD.

So ...

Videos I found to be really interesting and useful to find out different things about autism.

Before finding and joining this forum, I watched videos by people with ASD talking about their life, their struggles and their interests and lots of nice quirks.

So, I'd type in different areas of life and add Asperger's (because that's the type I was interested in first of all). So I searched for: 'Asperger's relationships', 'Asperger's employment', 'Asperger's shopping'. And then, if you're using something like youtube, you'll then get dozens of recommended videos whether you wanted them or not Smile

By watching videos from a few different people with autism, you can really get to both hear and see some of the similarities and differences between different people with ASD.

I also found talks about autism by some good academics to be helpful. When I was starting to find out 'what exactly is Asperger's?' one of the academics I really liked was Tony Atwood, for instance.

If your girlfriend has been given a specific type/form of autism, that could give some good ideas of what to read/watch up on.

So Asperger's can be quite different in some key ways to ADHD.

Also, one person with a type of ASD can be really quite different to another person with the same type of ASD so it's good to keep in mind that there are similar trends between some of us but none of us really fit into 'too defined a mould' of any kind.

Lastly, many of us here like to answer questions so, if you have something to discuss, we'd like to help give our thoughts if we feel we can.

• It'd be pretty hard to explain ASD in just 50 pages of a book - as humans, we're complicated and there's lots of similarities and differences between those of us with ASD.

So ...

Videos I found to be really interesting and useful to find out different things about autism.

Before finding and joining this forum, I watched videos by people with ASD talking about their life, their struggles and their interests and lots of nice quirks.

So, I'd type in different areas of life and add Asperger's (because that's the type I was interested in first of all). So I searched for: 'Asperger's relationships', 'Asperger's employment', 'Asperger's shopping'. And then, if you're using something like youtube, you'll then get dozens of recommended videos whether you wanted them or not Smile

By watching videos from a few different people with autism, you can really get to both hear and see some of the similarities and differences between different people with ASD.

I also found talks about autism by some good academics to be helpful. When I was starting to find out 'what exactly is Asperger's?' one of the academics I really liked was Tony Atwood, for instance.

If your girlfriend has been given a specific type/form of autism, that could give some good ideas of what to read/watch up on.

So Asperger's can be quite different in some key ways to ADHD.

Also, one person with a type of ASD can be really quite different to another person with the same type of ASD so it's good to keep in mind that there are similar trends between some of us but none of us really fit into 'too defined a mould' of any kind.

Lastly, many of us here like to answer questions so, if you have something to discuss, we'd like to help give our thoughts if we feel we can.

Children
No Data