Tips on keeping patient and calm

Hello My 14 year old daughter has autism, recently diagnosed although we have known for a long time. Even with this information, I can find it difficult to keep calm and patient with her. She is running out of time to complete her half term home work for school but just won't make a start. Transitions are difficult. Any tips on how to motivate her to do stuff she needs to do? If it is something that interests her, she does it no problem, but we all have to do some stuff we don't want to do, right? Appreciate any advice! 

• remind her that certain qualifications are required  by employers and universities. so for example u need maths A level to do a Biology degree, so some things  are required  to be done to get to the next step. all stops if u miss a  necessary step. Its like a jigsaw you have to put in all the pieces not just the ones u like.  

try study sessions by time 

1 hour on subject u dont like   ask for points 

1 hour on subject u do like   

30 min on subject u dont like  ask for points 

30 min on subject u do like

DONE for tonight

points at end of week gets you stuff from parent

peers ( friends/sisters/brothers )  are way more powerful than parents so ask her friends\cousins over for  study night. if she has a big sister/brother ask them to show to do stuff / help her do her homework. One word from her peers can work wonders.

try it

Heart

• I’m the same... at university I had 2 assignments for the same lecturer. One practical and one written the practical was my favourite subject databases (category galore) i think we had 1 month to do both assignments I must have spent 400 hours on the practical and 30 minutes on the written essay (30 minutes before it was due in). In the practical I got 98% and if I remember correctly 14% in the written. Fortunately the way the module was marked as long as you got 60% overall you passed the module and got the credits needed. 

Maybe give a deadline before it needs to be in, as I always leave things to the very last minute but will alway follow the rules so will submit the work in the end.

Employers do recognise autism comes will extremes so likely to be exceptional in certain areas so I wouldn’t worry too much. As important as it seems at 14 you don’t have to be brilliant in every subject to achieve the same outcome.

• Hello your daughter is very similar to me when I was at school and now but I’m not as bad as I was if I’m not interested I can’t get into it I’m no expert but I would say keep calm with her it might seem she’s being awkward but it’s very hard for some of us autistic people to concentrate on anything unless it’s one of our interests.