Masking and making friends

Hi!

I need advice on how to stop masking? I never knew it was a real thing, and honestly just thought that everyone made severe changes to them selves based on what their wearing or even by who they are with.

I know who I am, however id like to just be myself. People have been close to me for over five years and im still masking completely with them and its come to my attention that they don't actually know the first thing about me.

I would like to make real friends too, i haven't had anh in a few years and want to learn how to do it. Anyone can help? I havent made a single good friend during five years of my degrees, and I'm awful at just being myself. I also think everyone hates me and i need to work through it. 

Advice please PrayPray

Parents
  • I'm probably not helping, but how do you define masking? It's not blatant lying, right? Don't we all "mask" in a sense? And I find that a lot of people think of me as a "friend", but my criteria for a friendship run's quite deep, & not just superficial discussions & "Hi's". 

• is that masking ?

here is internet definition 

What is maskingMasking or camouflaging is artificially 'perform' social behavior that is deemed to be more 'neurotypical' or hiding behavior that might be viewed as socially unacceptable (1). The motivations for masking symptoms of autism includes fitting in and increasing connections with others.

Yes we all mask in a sense some  very clever business men use masking all the time

my mum used to immediately speak in the same accent to whoever she wanted to influence so funny to watch, awesome skill.

masking explained and should we unmask ?  very good video

Autistic MASKING: how do we do it and should we stop? 

www.youtube.com/watch

• is that masking ?

here is internet definition 

What is maskingMasking or camouflaging is artificially 'perform' social behavior that is deemed to be more 'neurotypical' or hiding behavior that might be viewed as socially unacceptable (1). The motivations for masking symptoms of autism includes fitting in and increasing connections with others.

Yes we all mask in a sense some  very clever business men use masking all the time

my mum used to immediately speak in the same accent to whoever she wanted to influence so funny to watch, awesome skill.

masking explained and should we unmask ?  very good video

Autistic MASKING: how do we do it and should we stop? 

www.youtube.com/watch

Children
  • Thank you!! You understand completely!! Ill definitely give this a watch!! Its too exhausting to keep this up for ever! My masking is always aimed at being a people pleaser to get them to like me, so I can make friends.