Simon newbie

Hello my name is Simon I am 34 and just got diagnosed with autism today it’s a huge relief to find out why I am the way I am.

I am quite nerdy into Star Wars obviously anything sci fi huge F1 fan and computer games I love computer games.

anyway not sure what else to put so HELLO.

Parents Reply Children
  • yes i agree its now just stupid ....

• I'm a super-nerd on all things technical.   Smiley

I wouldn't embarrass myself on the programme - BBC completely lost the plot and it's just sooo sad to watch now.    A totally feminised programme for blokes?   The oestrogen is strong on there now.

• You know a lot about cars. You should apply to be a new Top Gear presenter, the current ones are rubbish! 

• Panther had a deal with British Leyland for most of their bits - the Kallista (the ones in the background) was mostly made out of MG Midget parts - all the cockpit/doors/hood etc.      The '6 had all sorts of development problems - like the engine.       Back in the '60s, General Motors (US) tried to emulate the Mini so developed front wheel drive cars too - by taking a massive V8 and putting the gearbox next to it and linking the two with a massive chain drive.      This went into the Buick Riviera and Olds Toronado and the Cadillacs of the era.      They took this massive (8 litres) lump and put it behind the seats of the '6 and later added twin turbos!

• Tyrrell P34  - for those who dont know about this car

• Panther 6, pretty cool car, but the maintenance !  

• Yeah I agree it’s no where near as good as it used to be hopefully in 2022 the new rule changes and budget cap will even things out and make closer racing.

• I watched it from the 70s when the cars were deathtraps - all sheet Aluminium construction riveted like an aeroplane - which meant they folded up and split open in crashes sloshing the fuel everywhere and trapping the driver in the mangled wreckage - like Nicki Lauda.       The carbon fibre era saw the cars becoming much safer.      I liked the 80s turbo cars with way too much power and zero handling - they used to rocket off down the straights but couldn't get around the corners but the normally aspirated could overtake them in the braking and cornering.      The turbos often caught fire too  Smiley       The great names of my watching were Prost, Lauda, Senna, Hunt, Schumacher, Mansell etc - the real drivers.

And it just wasn't the same after Murray Walker.  Disappointed

• I know there are still a lot of F1 fans and I don't want to upset Simon - different strokes for different folks - but to be honest I find F1 boring now too. 

Thanks for explaining downforce, I get why it 's important now.

I thought the '90s were fun. Michael Schumacher cheating, some teams were great while others were absolute rubbish which was amusing. Cars often going on fire. More crashes meant sometimes drivers who weren't that good could get victory points, adding novelty. Murray Walker was funny on the commentary as well, very enthusiastic.

• The Tyrrell P34 - ok - I'm that sad - which inspired Bob Jankel's Panther 6.

• yea remember the 6 wheeled car :) its boring now.

• Downforce is the opposite of flying - all the little wings on the cars are upside down so instead of the car taking off, it gets pushed harder on to the ground as though it suddenly weighed a lot more - that means the tires are squashed harder onto the tarmac so they get much more grip so they can go faster around corners without losing grip and crashing.

The extra grip also helps when they brake hard at high speed - until they slow down too much and the effect of the wings stops working.

The modern cars are, in my opinion, too technical - it's more like a video game with all the functions and odd rules they have to obey.

I was a fan of F1 in the turbo/normally-aspirated years when there was loads of team rivalry, big personalities and interesting cars - now is very corporate and faceless.