Being overly affectionate with friends

Hi,

We think or son (12) has Aspergers or something similar. I first brought it up in year 3, he is now in year 8 and we are still awaiting assessment. I know our problems are tiny compared to a lot of peoples and I don’t even know if this is the right place to post!

One of the things he does not understand is respecting other people’s personal space. He finds it extremely difficult to make friends but when he does he goes completely the other way and is hugging and touching them all the time. He is completely over the top tactile and does not understand that people don’t want to be touched. This is even more of a problem now, with social distancing.

We encourage him to go to scouts for a bit of social interaction outside of school. ( I am a cub leader in the same unit.) He is particularly attached to one boy and their parents are complaining that my son won’t leave their son alone, is not respecting the 2 meter rule and being overly tactile etc. I’m really worried he will be asked to leave because he cannot keep to the rules.

Does anyone have any tips about how to deal with this kind of behaviour?

Thanks in advance 

R

Parents
  • I feel real bad for him. Social distancing is probably going to be pretty awful.

As a fellow 'very huggy/tactile person' I feel the potential pain.

I'm very huggy. I learned before junior school when a hug or kiss was wanted. Maybe your son will learn as he goes on.

Lockdown is a fate worse than death for huggy people :( Sorry it's not optimistic, but I won't lie, for a huggy person, these times are bloomin' atrocious.

• I feel real bad for him. Social distancing is probably going to be pretty awful.

As a fellow 'very huggy/tactile person' I feel the potential pain.

I'm very huggy. I learned before junior school when a hug or kiss was wanted. Maybe your son will learn as he goes on.

Lockdown is a fate worse than death for huggy people :( Sorry it's not optimistic, but I won't lie, for a huggy person, these times are bloomin' atrocious.

Children
No Data