Here at last

Well I'm 59 years old and never had a diagnosis but here I am.

Been struggling with so many traits all my life, but until relatively recently, always felt that things would turn out better, one day.  I thought I just needed to fall in with the right people, get the right job, find the right neighbourhood, etc. etc. and then, everything would fall nicely into place.  It never happened, and now I realise its because I am fundamentally different.

Parents
  • Good to hear from you here, at last :-)

I self-realised at 59 myself. Then returned briefly to the UK to get an assessment at 61, three years ago. I know how you feel about trying to set yourself up in the right place etc. It drove me into long-term expatriation; which hasn't really provided too many answers either. Whatever my differences were at home, they are mostly magnified here; even if you do the almost impossible and actually find that rare someone here willing to even consider talking about it or themselves. And yet, there are also so many ways in which I don't feel I am fundamentally different; both in the UK and here.

But I think this site should be a positive experience; although you should probably keep an eye out for more local support groups.

• Good to hear from you here, at last :-)

I self-realised at 59 myself. Then returned briefly to the UK to get an assessment at 61, three years ago. I know how you feel about trying to set yourself up in the right place etc. It drove me into long-term expatriation; which hasn't really provided too many answers either. Whatever my differences were at home, they are mostly magnified here; even if you do the almost impossible and actually find that rare someone here willing to even consider talking about it or themselves. And yet, there are also so many ways in which I don't feel I am fundamentally different; both in the UK and here.

But I think this site should be a positive experience; although you should probably keep an eye out for more local support groups.

Children
  • Thanks Senor.  Today I have made the first step towards hopefully getting an assessment by making a GP appointment.  I'm sure it won't happen very swiftly in the current situation but I've waited this long.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond, and sorry if I'm being a bit brief but I have an awful lot going on right now.  I look forward to being able to spend more time on here, and with you, very soon.