Denial

My 17 year old step granddaughter has been diagnosed with autism, but she and the rest of the family seem to be in denial of the issue. I am so concerned as she has now missed nearly two years of education, spends nearly all of her time alone at home and I worry about her future.

The doctor who diagnosed her 15 months ago, said she should decide for herself when to 'come out' or get help. But her diagnosis of autism seems to be completely avoided by all 'and I am concerned for her long-term mental health. 

Parents
  • Hi there :) agreed with the doctor - she can decide if and when to disclose her condition and all. What does the rest of the family do or say to indicate that they are in denial?x

• The family won't discuss it, they act as if it isn't an issue. But she spends day after day alone and has lost nearly two years of education by not having help/support. In principal I might agree that she should make her own decision to disclose her condition, but I am concerned for her long-term welfare. If she were my own granddaughter I would share/discuss information from this website, suggest reading matter etc and try to get support for her, but she is my step daughter and so this is difficult.

• The family won't discuss it, they act as if it isn't an issue. But she spends day after day alone and has lost nearly two years of education by not having help/support. In principal I might agree that she should make her own decision to disclose her condition, but I am concerned for her long-term welfare. If she were my own granddaughter I would share/discuss information from this website, suggest reading matter etc and try to get support for her, but she is my step daughter and so this is difficult.

Children
No Data