Newly diagnosed

Hello all,

I have been recently diagnosed after my assessment last week. I am 31 and always struggled my whole life and feel like I don’t fit in. It seemed certain I would get a diagnosis based on the difficulties I have and from my experiences of working with students with ASD; however even though this was expected I am still struggling with the diagnosis and getting upset, trying to accept it, push it away etc. 

How long did it take you all to accept the diagnosis? I know it is a good thing in the sense that it gives me answers to my difficulties. 

Nice to meet you all and it would be helpful to get to know some of you and get some advice on the difficulties I face as I feel very isolated with this currently. 

Parents
  • Hi Dreamgirl,

Welcome to the community! Slight smile

It has taken me quite a long time to come to terms with who I am, don't know if iv even fully accepted myself yet, I guess it is different for everyone.

Feel free to post any questions you have. I'm sure the community will be able to help,

Again, Welcome :)

• Thank you ;) I did reply back to you but it didn’t submit when the new website was launched and then I couldn’t log on for ages!! I imagine that at times certain things do make it hard to come to terms with. My biggest struggle at the moment is getting understanding from others, who just seem to think I am using my diagnosis as an excuse. That is just so hard! 

• Thank you ;) I did reply back to you but it didn’t submit when the new website was launched and then I couldn’t log on for ages!! I imagine that at times certain things do make it hard to come to terms with. My biggest struggle at the moment is getting understanding from others, who just seem to think I am using my diagnosis as an excuse. That is just so hard! 

Children