An introduction: Asperger’s Syndrome, stage 3 assessment, 38 male, central London

Hello

Just a quick introduction. I am 38 and live in [edited by moderator]. A couple of years ago, a neighbour who is a psychotherapist, having noticed my quirky personality traits, suggested to me that I may have a form of autism and that I should get advice from my GP. I have always known as far back as I can remember, that I am different and never did quite fit in. Looking back at my past, people always found me quirky and maybe something in my personality was not able to give back in the same way as the average person in order to maintain proper relationships.

Last year, I finally spoke to my GP about it. My GP agreed that I might have Asperger’s, and referred me to a clinical psychologist who gave me a couple of tests and two interviews. She told me from the result of the initial tests and having met me twice that she thought I have Aspergers. Back in November 2019, I was referred to the local Adult Autism Service for a further assessment with them (Step 3 of the assessment stages), and am still waiting. There was supposed to be at least a six-month wait for this assessment, but with the COVID-19 pandemic, this could be considerably longer. Every online test I have done suggests I definitely have AS, and everything I have read so far seems to fit my personality traits, so in my mind, I am convinced. It explains how my life has unfolded and why there have been difficulties in my social life.

In the past, I have had one or two friends around, sometimes, who are what I like to call as 'characters', and accepted the differences in my personality, but those friends come in and out of my life and are not constantly around me. Living in central London can be very isolating. Ordinary people find me interesting when I first meet them, but I don't have the skills to form strong bonds with your average person, although I do occasionally connect with the odd person who finds me interesting, at least for a while. I don't seem to have a continual circle around me, and I was never comfortable with the idea of joining in with a clique of friends. I am friendly enough, and cheerful once I get to know people, but just not great at forming and maintaining bonds although I want to.

I have joined this site to learn more about the condition, learn from others, and maybe make one or two connections some time down the line.

My main interests include theatre - both West End and fringe - walking/hiking, and cinema.

Robert

Parents Reply Children
No Data