Depression / anxiety after recent Aspergers diagnosis

I was diagnosed with ASD about 18 months ago at the age of 49! Recently I have started having panic attacks which appear to be getting worse and now I’m starting to feel quite down. Does anyone have any experience with antidepressants as this is something that my GP has said might be an option. Also are there any counselling organisations specifically for autistic adults? I live in Sheffield. I’d welcome your ideas and suggestions 

Parents
  • Hi. I'm sorry you are experiencing these. I have what has been suggested as limited symptom panic attacks. I also do a lot of over thinking. Something which I have started doing is what I think might be called grounding.  Wherever I am I try to think of 

1 thing I can taste, 2 things I can smell,  three things I can hear, 4 thjngs I can touch and 5 things I can see. Or switch round the numbers and senses. Today I was in a thinking frenzy and needed to stop, so I used this. I used it last week when i was having an "episode". 

There's a really good website called excelatlife.com  which has good audio for anxiety and panic. I found this website through the nopanic charity. I woukd recommend. Hope this helps.

I am currently taking an SSRI - it was helpful at the beginning but I think long term isn't the right thing for me so I am in the process of coming off them.

You have to find what works best for you. And the mental side of things takes practise. 

• Hi. I'm sorry you are experiencing these. I have what has been suggested as limited symptom panic attacks. I also do a lot of over thinking. Something which I have started doing is what I think might be called grounding.  Wherever I am I try to think of 

1 thing I can taste, 2 things I can smell,  three things I can hear, 4 thjngs I can touch and 5 things I can see. Or switch round the numbers and senses. Today I was in a thinking frenzy and needed to stop, so I used this. I used it last week when i was having an "episode". 

There's a really good website called excelatlife.com  which has good audio for anxiety and panic. I found this website through the nopanic charity. I woukd recommend. Hope this helps.

I am currently taking an SSRI - it was helpful at the beginning but I think long term isn't the right thing for me so I am in the process of coming off them.

You have to find what works best for you. And the mental side of things takes practise. 

Children
No Data