Hello from the North East

Hi all,

I have a 12 year old son who was diagnosed with ASD a few weeks ago. He also has ADD and dyspraxia although he is high functioning. The lockdown has been particularly difficult for us as he doesn't have any friends and it's just me and him. It's extremely hard to motivate him to do school work and most of the time he just wants to watch you tube or play games. I'm hoping to access some support groups in the area when things improve so that he might be able to meet people with similar needs. 

Thanks for listening!

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi Abba, 

Welcome to the group :)  I am also quite new here. My 11 year son has diagnosis of Autism and has PDA profile. He is in a similar position so I feel I can empathize with the struggles in the social isolation. My son is a keen gamer both xbox and pc. He is passionate about it. I came on today in hope to find an online gaming community. So I am very excited to hear about the spectrum gaming community on facebook Symon and will contact you about this. This sounds great and I will be looking to get my son involved asap as he is desperate to make some new friends with similar interests.  My personal opinion regarding school work is take a relaxed approach and don't put to much pressure on yourself. We actually home school our son due to the difficulty following  a set curriculum and try to follow his interests as much as possible.  This has been a challenging time for everyone and particularly for children I think. Good luck with everything and maybe our children will become friends at some point :)