Autism diagnosis??

Hi Guys, I’m new here just wanted to introduce myself really and ask for some advice and guidance! I’ve always noticed something different about me so has others and always felt there was apart of me that was different to others, I’ve been diagnosed with some mental health issues but I think have also always suffered with autism, because I’ve done some tests online met real people that are on the spectrum and have seen articles on it and I can really relate to everything that gets said... just wanted some advice on what to do next? I’m so sooo anxious and nervous about seeing my doctor as I wouldn’t know how to explain it because I find it hard to express my feelings.... any help would be much appreciated. 

thanks Maisy 

Parents
  • Hi, Maisy - welcome to the forum.

My best advice would be to look through the information about autism (on the NAS website) and write down examples of why you think they apply to you. It might help to take this list to your GP so that you remember what to say, or you can pass them the list if you find yourself struggling to speak.

If your GP doesn't listen (mine was, unfortunately, quite unhelpful), there are other routes you can take. I self-referred to my local NHS mental health service for my anxiety and OCD, and I requested an autism referral in my initial mental health assessment (I explained how I felt my mental health and potential autism were linked, e.g. sensory issues are heightened when I'm anxious). The mental health assessor took me seriously, listened to my examples, and referred my for an assessment. I had an initial telephone assessment a couple of weeks ago and I'm now waiting for the face-to-face assessment. It's a long wait but, in my opinion, it's worth the wait if it can help me understand myself better.

In the meantime, I'd recommend taking a look at Purple Ella and YoSamdySam's YouTube videos - they were diagnosed as adults and have some really helpful tips and advice. 

I hope your doctor's appointment goes well and you get the answers you're looking for.

• Hi, Maisy - welcome to the forum.

My best advice would be to look through the information about autism (on the NAS website) and write down examples of why you think they apply to you. It might help to take this list to your GP so that you remember what to say, or you can pass them the list if you find yourself struggling to speak.

If your GP doesn't listen (mine was, unfortunately, quite unhelpful), there are other routes you can take. I self-referred to my local NHS mental health service for my anxiety and OCD, and I requested an autism referral in my initial mental health assessment (I explained how I felt my mental health and potential autism were linked, e.g. sensory issues are heightened when I'm anxious). The mental health assessor took me seriously, listened to my examples, and referred my for an assessment. I had an initial telephone assessment a couple of weeks ago and I'm now waiting for the face-to-face assessment. It's a long wait but, in my opinion, it's worth the wait if it can help me understand myself better.

In the meantime, I'd recommend taking a look at Purple Ella and YoSamdySam's YouTube videos - they were diagnosed as adults and have some really helpful tips and advice. 

I hope your doctor's appointment goes well and you get the answers you're looking for.

Children
No Data