Autism diagnosis??

Hi Guys, I’m new here just wanted to introduce myself really and ask for some advice and guidance! I’ve always noticed something different about me so has others and always felt there was apart of me that was different to others, I’ve been diagnosed with some mental health issues but I think have also always suffered with autism, because I’ve done some tests online met real people that are on the spectrum and have seen articles on it and I can really relate to everything that gets said... just wanted some advice on what to do next? I’m so sooo anxious and nervous about seeing my doctor as I wouldn’t know how to explain it because I find it hard to express my feelings.... any help would be much appreciated. 

thanks Maisy 

Parents
  • Hi Maisy. I'm in pretty much in the exact same position as you, except others haven't told me as I the people I know don't much about autism & I've a very limited circle of friends (& always have - I'm 55 by the way)... Oh yes I'm also a massive masker/avoider.

For myself I'm deferring going for a 'proper' diagnosis/assessment. At my age I can't see how this would be of any benefit. I'm a good & diligent researcher so I'll be doing that first. I can always change my mind later. Once diagnosed gettinung diagnosed is likely to be much more difficult.

As Always what do is give advice,opinion & personal experience in the hope this will help you chose a course of action suitable for you :

With a complex situation like this I always slice it up into small one issue chunks. Trying to deal with it as one lump, for me, ends up with cyclical procrastination. If you're not a good researcher try & find someone you know & trust to help you.

For instance with your problem;

What would you be hoping a diagnosis would accomplish for you ? - is that a realistic outcome? research just this question only.

related - what would be the possible negative repercussions of a diagnosis if any? How would you handle such a possibility if it arose ? (just realised this is a risk assessment :) )

How pressing is it to do this now? Clearly you've had this all your life (assuming it's not something else) & have had to deal with it. So is there time to take you're time deciding? (This is what I'm doing. I'm still me, no matter what & I'm positive I'm Aspie but I did look into every other possible cause that I've seen mentioned before settling on that. If I come across anything else I'm prepared to change that self diagnosis too.)

Should you decide to go ahead, be prepared. What if they say you're not ? How certain are you you are ? would/could you stick up for yoursel & get a second opinion?

Try & check on the how you'd be assessed in you locality. I understand this can vary a lot, as can provisions for assistance once diagnosed.

& lastly - should you go ahead & be correct, look at the pros & cons of disclosure & who you disclose to.

(feel free to add to my list - they're just the first things I thought of.)

As for nervousness about seeing your doctor about it, can you write down all your evidence & feelings on the subject before hand & let them read that ? explain why you've written it & not spoken it.  For me the greater the motivation the more likely I am to tackle awkward meetings. Once you've sorted out what you want/expect from this situation you may be more motivated.

I hope that helps you in deciding on what(/not) to do next.

• Hi Maisy. I'm in pretty much in the exact same position as you, except others haven't told me as I the people I know don't much about autism & I've a very limited circle of friends (& always have - I'm 55 by the way)... Oh yes I'm also a massive masker/avoider.

For myself I'm deferring going for a 'proper' diagnosis/assessment. At my age I can't see how this would be of any benefit. I'm a good & diligent researcher so I'll be doing that first. I can always change my mind later. Once diagnosed gettinung diagnosed is likely to be much more difficult.

As Always what do is give advice,opinion & personal experience in the hope this will help you chose a course of action suitable for you :

With a complex situation like this I always slice it up into small one issue chunks. Trying to deal with it as one lump, for me, ends up with cyclical procrastination. If you're not a good researcher try & find someone you know & trust to help you.

For instance with your problem;

What would you be hoping a diagnosis would accomplish for you ? - is that a realistic outcome? research just this question only.

related - what would be the possible negative repercussions of a diagnosis if any? How would you handle such a possibility if it arose ? (just realised this is a risk assessment :) )

How pressing is it to do this now? Clearly you've had this all your life (assuming it's not something else) & have had to deal with it. So is there time to take you're time deciding? (This is what I'm doing. I'm still me, no matter what & I'm positive I'm Aspie but I did look into every other possible cause that I've seen mentioned before settling on that. If I come across anything else I'm prepared to change that self diagnosis too.)

Should you decide to go ahead, be prepared. What if they say you're not ? How certain are you you are ? would/could you stick up for yoursel & get a second opinion?

Try & check on the how you'd be assessed in you locality. I understand this can vary a lot, as can provisions for assistance once diagnosed.

& lastly - should you go ahead & be correct, look at the pros & cons of disclosure & who you disclose to.

(feel free to add to my list - they're just the first things I thought of.)

As for nervousness about seeing your doctor about it, can you write down all your evidence & feelings on the subject before hand & let them read that ? explain why you've written it & not spoken it.  For me the greater the motivation the more likely I am to tackle awkward meetings. Once you've sorted out what you want/expect from this situation you may be more motivated.

I hope that helps you in deciding on what(/not) to do next.

Children
No Data