Hi :-)

Hi,

My name is Tara and I got diagnosed with autism just last week. The diagnosis (after almost a year of therapy for depression, anxiety and social issues) hit me like a truck. Right now I’m quite overwhelmed and I’m struggling to think of myself as “autistic”. I researched it and a lot of it feels like looking into a mirror, but a lot of it does not sound like myself at all. I trust my psychologist, but I’m feeling very conflicted. Does anyone else feel like that?

Parents
  • Hey Tara :) 

Diagnosis is always a difficult topic, but remember that being diagnosed as 'autistic' doesn't mean your identity has to change or anything. You simply live your life as-is, with the knowledge that there are certain things that you have to adapt to, but that doesn't change who you fundamentally arex

Much love <3

• Hey Tara :) 

Diagnosis is always a difficult topic, but remember that being diagnosed as 'autistic' doesn't mean your identity has to change or anything. You simply live your life as-is, with the knowledge that there are certain things that you have to adapt to, but that doesn't change who you fundamentally arex

Much love <3

Children
  • Hi, 

Thank you very much for your answer! You are right, of course, it doesn't change who I am. Nonetheless, it came as bit of shock and I'm glad to have found a community where, for once in my life, I don't have to feel like the odd one out :-)