Hello everyone. The penny has dropped.

Hi everyone, I know you may think the last bit of my sentence sounds rather ominous. Rest assured it's not. I've watched Youtubers and people in news articles talk about autism but I never gave it much thought until I realised the penny had dropped and all this time I myself might be autistic. I'm in my late twenties and overall I'm somewhat shy but only when I'm around people I hardly know. I need to spend a long time with someone before I can really be myself. Sometimes I suppress my true self. Several months ago, I was stressed out at work to the point I was crying. I made a self referral to a advice service to cope with my stress. I did some self reflection on my life at that time and certain aspects of my childhood and adult life alludes to me being on the spectrum. I haven't had an official diagnosis.

I was sort of in denial but then it dawned on me that it was the facade I have put up to try and blend in. This is not something I can discuss with my mum because she's not very understanding. She got so angry on one occasion when I was 14 when I told her I was seeing a learning mentor but in actual fact it was a debating club which was being run by a learning mentor.

Between the ages of 4 - 7 I had to see a speech therapist as I struggled to talk properly. Back then my grandmother said I had a heavy tongue. Actually it was a stammer (which I still have on very rare occasions to this day). At school I used to talk to the other kids but I felt invisible as if what I said was ignored. I did make some friends but nothing really lasted. From then on I think I put up the barrier and facade until I was at university when I read an article about indigo children and it shared similarities with me. At university I made some lifelong friends and these friendships have lasted this long because of the things I have in common with them.

I know this message isn't structured well. Normally I write better than this but I wanted to share just a few parts of my life and get some thoughts from other people on the forum.

Thank you and I hope to discuss this further with you all and try to find out whether I should be officially diagnosed or just remain as I am. Without knowing for certain is leaving me scratching my head and worrying though.

Parents
  • Hi, welcome to the forum! I'm new here and was diagnosed at 30 (I'm now 32). I feel that my diagnosis was a very positive experience long-term. It was a journey but now with the increased self-knowledge I am less afraid of approaching people to start conversations as I am more willing to show people my 'real voice' and the way I actually speak, instead of rehearsing sentences beforehand. I learned recently that I have a stammer if I allow myself to try to speak to people without any rehearsal! :) I hope you don't mind me commenting, as it is a very personal decision that is different for everyone and I don't want to impose a particular viewpoint, but my experience of a diagnosis was that the waiting list for one on the NHS takes a while and it was over a year and a half for me to get one, by which time I had already gone privately. It may be worth getting on the list even if you're not sure if you'd pursue a diagnosis formally, just to get the ball rolling, and then cancel if you change your mind. Another possible advantage of a diagnosis is workplace support, as since disclosing to my closest colleagues I have been getting assistance that I didn't consciously realise I needed a few years ago and I have been a lot happier and felt more able to include myself as my 'real self'. It's a very personal decision though. I hope you don't mind me giving my thoughts around it, and hope you are okay. Do let me know if you'd like to discuss anything 

• Hi, thank you for welcoming me. That's great it was a positive experience for you. I heard it does take a while on the NHS which has put me off pursuing the diagnosis but I didn't consider going private. Where would you begin with going private? Local medical organisation or GP? Do you have any suggestions? 

I do have a work colleague who I know will understand this but I didn't believe I could talk to them for some reason. 

Of course I don't mind you sharing your thoughts and opinions. Thank you for replying to me.

• No problem at all. I think my dad found the name of a lady who carries out private diagnoses in my part of the country, by searching on the NAS website here for diagnostic services: //www.autism.org.uk/directory.aspx. I emailed her for advice and she replied with the cost and process. It didn't take long from then until the assessment, I think it was maybe a matter of weeks or a few months later. I think your GP may also be able to refer you to a private service 

• No problem at all. I think my dad found the name of a lady who carries out private diagnoses in my part of the country, by searching on the NAS website here for diagnostic services: //www.autism.org.uk/directory.aspx. I emailed her for advice and she replied with the cost and process. It didn't take long from then until the assessment, I think it was maybe a matter of weeks or a few months later. I think your GP may also be able to refer you to a private service 

Children
No Data