Hello - Recently widowed and then diagnosed ASD

Hello

As per the title. My wife of 30yrs died in late October and I have received my ASD diagnosis this Monday gone. I have a good job and manage to interact as well as necessary, I'm no genius but I do think in my own way which has been useful to my employer on a number of occasions. I'm high functioning in a very normal sort of way.  It is my emotional landscape that is most limited, I get by with a resolutely grumpy attitude. 

You won't be surprised to hear that I miss my wife terribly, and having had my diagnosis so recently I am even more grateful to her having taken me on.  To be fair I think it is entirely possible she was also neuro-diverse in some way, but she certainly had emotional needs that I struggled to understand.  Anyway, she was beautiful and smart and compassionate.  

I think my ASD has been a benefit during this period of bereavement, I know what she meant to me, and I to her, but I am not devastated in the way my father was when my Mother died, nor even the way some of my wife's friends were.  I live on my own, with animals and I don't find it particularly hard (yet). I have a daughter and three grand children who I see frequently, so I am not isolated.

I appreciate what I had, I don't think I will ever have it again and that does play on my mind, but I also wonder whether I would ever want to be in that place with another person.

Thanks for reading.

Parents
  • I'm very sorry for your loss - it sounds like you and your wife had a lovely relationship. I'm glad you have your family and your animals around you.

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of friendly people here, so hopefully you'll find it helpful.

• I'm very sorry for your loss - it sounds like you and your wife had a lovely relationship. I'm glad you have your family and your animals around you.

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of friendly people here, so hopefully you'll find it helpful.

Children
No Data