Hi - recent diagnosis at age 61 - just saying hello (waving)

After a 2 year wait I was recently diagnosed, and it is taking some time to adjust to it, such a mixturte of different feelngs, relief, regret, avoidance, disbelief, but mainly just relief. It wasn't just that I was weird all my life, there was a recogniseable, distinct, pervasive difficulty and there always has been. It wasn't that I didn't try hard enough, it wasn't that I was lazy, or just didn't want to mix with people or do a 'normal' job, but there are other more positive things too...the synaesthesia type experiences I have had, sensitivities to energies, my being drawn to workshops and groups where I could learn to make eye contact, to hug and enjoy physical contact, and many many more things I can now begin to place as to why I did this or why I was interested in that, or why I would have my own version of a meltdown. Thank you to the community for existing and hi to everyone. I look forward to learning and understanding more/

Parents
  • Hello and welcome to the forum,

I was diagnosed 18 months ago at 61. I’d figured out I have sound to colour/synaesthesia when I was about 40, after reading an article about it. I had learnt to keep my mouth shut about seeing music and voices.

The autism diagnosis wasn’t expected, but makes sense now.

It is a bit of a whirlwind of contrasting emotions at the beginning, but talking on here helps.

• interesting, i have sound (music)  to visual/spatial synaesthia and time (think: calendars, weekdays) to visual/spatial, particularly in the form of geometric shapes. As i chlid I'd told my parents I could see music, particular different chord formations for each key signature, and i was told off for being hypochondriac and attention-seeking.

• interesting, i have sound (music)  to visual/spatial synaesthia and time (think: calendars, weekdays) to visual/spatial, particularly in the form of geometric shapes. As i chlid I'd told my parents I could see music, particular different chord formations for each key signature, and i was told off for being hypochondriac and attention-seeking.

Children
No Data