how legal justice deal with autism

just want to know how does legal justice deal with someone with autism. say someone with autism had commited a crime because they were very traumatised and depressed. will they still get send to prison or will there be other treatment for them?

Parents
  • Legal Justice dealng with someone with Autism, I can tell you from experience, not very good.

My son had what we now know was a meltdown, he was behaving strangely, and came in one night telling his mum he had thought about killing himself. We got the crisis team involved, and after a four days of them telling us there was nothing to worry about, on the fifth day they reported to us that he had said something to them and they were that worried they informed the police, this was the result of him obsessing about a short term relationship, and him excessively contacting her. The meltdown came as he had been in trouble before and had a restraining order, this was preying on his mind because the girls father was a police officer. He ended up being sectioned and spent  3 weeks in hospital, where he was diagnosed with association disorder, brought on by stress, he was tested for Autism and scored high. After 3 weeks, upon discharge he was arrested, and charged, to cut a long story short, he was treat like any other person, at the police station, in court by the judge and CPS they made no allowances no concessions for his mental state of mind when he told the mental health worker his thoughts, I obtained copies of his notes whilst in hospital, and it seems from these that the hospital was reporting everything to the police. I have learned a lot about Autism in the last year, how obsessive they get, how they plan everything to great detail, sometimes to the point of fantasy, yet no one has ever took any of this into consideration. So although there seems to be awareness training, A great deal more needs to be done even in a mental health hospital, they were using comments like-  x was seen smirking and smiling to himself, why did they seem surprised if they were fully understanding of Autism, the same comments were used by the mental health professional before he went into hospital, and the CPS used these comments in court, so legal system dealing with someone with Autism, in my opinion it is a joke, as long as they get a conviction they really do not care 3 years in prison proves this

• Legal Justice dealng with someone with Autism, I can tell you from experience, not very good.

My son had what we now know was a meltdown, he was behaving strangely, and came in one night telling his mum he had thought about killing himself. We got the crisis team involved, and after a four days of them telling us there was nothing to worry about, on the fifth day they reported to us that he had said something to them and they were that worried they informed the police, this was the result of him obsessing about a short term relationship, and him excessively contacting her. The meltdown came as he had been in trouble before and had a restraining order, this was preying on his mind because the girls father was a police officer. He ended up being sectioned and spent  3 weeks in hospital, where he was diagnosed with association disorder, brought on by stress, he was tested for Autism and scored high. After 3 weeks, upon discharge he was arrested, and charged, to cut a long story short, he was treat like any other person, at the police station, in court by the judge and CPS they made no allowances no concessions for his mental state of mind when he told the mental health worker his thoughts, I obtained copies of his notes whilst in hospital, and it seems from these that the hospital was reporting everything to the police. I have learned a lot about Autism in the last year, how obsessive they get, how they plan everything to great detail, sometimes to the point of fantasy, yet no one has ever took any of this into consideration. So although there seems to be awareness training, A great deal more needs to be done even in a mental health hospital, they were using comments like-  x was seen smirking and smiling to himself, why did they seem surprised if they were fully understanding of Autism, the same comments were used by the mental health professional before he went into hospital, and the CPS used these comments in court, so legal system dealing with someone with Autism, in my opinion it is a joke, as long as they get a conviction they really do not care 3 years in prison proves this

Children
No Data