New to This and Feeling a bit Silly :)

Hey everyone,

I’m 20 with high-functioning Autism. I was diagnosed at 17. 

Is there anyone else out there who is high-functioning with really severe sensory processing and lots of stims?

Ive not come across anyone with sensory problems and stims like mine who is high-functioning as well. It’s hard to deal with because I can’t stim in public without people staring and thinking I’m weird. 

Parents
  • I stim everyday.  Going out shopping leaves me with massive sensory problems.  Though I’ve started wearing sunglasses and going to get some noise cancelling headphones.  

Dont worry about having the exact same symptoms as everybody.  Remember it’s a spectrum condition.  We aren’t all the same.

• It’s the judgement that’s the hardest. There’s quite a few autistic people in my family who are quite severe and the stim a lot so I’m always being compared to them and told that I’m doing it on purpose. 

That’s definitely what makes me feel like I can’t do it. 

• Educate them. Tell them it’s a spectrum condition.  Point them to this website.

Failing that, when being judged, I say “ do you want me to have a meltdown?” You’re going the right way about it.”

That works.

• Educate them. Tell them it’s a spectrum condition.  Point them to this website.

Failing that, when being judged, I say “ do you want me to have a meltdown?” You’re going the right way about it.”

That works.

Children
No Data