Newly diagnosed with ASD Aspergers profile this morning

Hi,

this is my first post on here. I Had the ADOS and psychiatric assessment this morning and was told that I have ASD/Aspergers, which I have suspected for a while.

part of me is frustrated that I wasn’t diagnosed as a child (I’m 37 now) and that I missed all the early intervention stuff.

part of me is relieved as it explains so much of how my life has been and the difficulties I have had. I guess now I know for definite what the issue is I can try to manage symptoms. I’ve been working through a social skills book the last few months which has helped so much. I really wish that I’d had that book 30 years ago, a step by step guide to social interaction, it would’ve saved me a lot of rejection.

mainly I’m feeling numb and not sure how I should feel.

Anyone else freshly diagnosed or awaiting diagnosis out there?

Parents Reply Children
  • Thank you. Its good to know that I'm not alone. We can all help each other :-)

How are you feeling about your assessment when it happens?

• Your never alone on here, we are all going through similar issues, and I truly believe all autistic individuals are kind and caring.

Being here is great, no judgement, time to chat freely about anything, find answers, ask questions no matter how strange they might first seem, and being accepted by the whole community. 

One big family ,

() () () () ()