Eating and drinking issues

Hello, My name is June I am a grandmother of a 3 yrs old Boy who is Autistic.

8 weeks ago he started refusing drinks, to the extent of not taking any fluids at all. We over come this by giving him watery foods , such as yogurts, fruit pots , puddings and Weetabix with lots of milk.

He became ill 2 weeks ago with a virus and fever, so stopped eating due to the fever , his GP sent him to hospital but nothing was done they just made sure he was not dehydrated and sent him home .

He has recovered from the virus , BUT  the situation has heightened over the past few days as he is not eating his usual foods now.

We realise this appears to be a sensory issue but we do not know what to do and how to get support. the GP does not seem to know what to do. 

Is there anyone out there who can give any advice or guidance , Please xx

Parents
  • As seaweed below  It is probably a sensory feature its the texture,  plus perhaps like my adult son he cannot chew properly,  just bites and swallows. When he was born he existed on SMA gold for the first 18months of life any thing else was spat out, going to the next phase mouled/ milled or shop infant food, 5 teaspoons with another helper to hold him on the 6th teaspoon full he would vomit.the lot back, just persevere, keep offering small amounts of finely sieved if needed food..As a last resort try a babies bottle with SMA gold or its current day equivalent . I think at one time I even tried raw raw egg as it had no texture. gradually scramble it, a minute in the microwave. Soft boiled are a mixture of non textured yolk an part cooked white, that should work. dip in soldiers later as a game.

Dont give up.

• As seaweed below  It is probably a sensory feature its the texture,  plus perhaps like my adult son he cannot chew properly,  just bites and swallows. When he was born he existed on SMA gold for the first 18months of life any thing else was spat out, going to the next phase mouled/ milled or shop infant food, 5 teaspoons with another helper to hold him on the 6th teaspoon full he would vomit.the lot back, just persevere, keep offering small amounts of finely sieved if needed food..As a last resort try a babies bottle with SMA gold or its current day equivalent . I think at one time I even tried raw raw egg as it had no texture. gradually scramble it, a minute in the microwave. Soft boiled are a mixture of non textured yolk an part cooked white, that should work. dip in soldiers later as a game.

Dont give up.

Children
No Data