Occupational Therapy at School

Hello everyone,

My son , aged 8, was diagnosed on the Autistic Spectrum in August, although we have always known that he is.  One area that is of real benefit to him, is Occuaptional Therapy, which is helping resolve some sensory issues that he has.  

Our problem is getting the school on board. While they are happy to recognise he has sensory needs, they will not implement our sensory diet in school. We are getting a lot of lip service and recognition of his needs, but nothing concrete to help him throughout the day.  These are simple things such as stretches, carrying, blowing, jumping and bouncing etc.  He should do them at set times of day.   

Does anyone else follow a sensory diet? and how does your school implement it? are they on board with it? or does your child manage it himself?

Parents
  • Thank you. Sorry, to clarify 'Sensory Diet' are activities throughout the day to regulate his behaviour and sensory needs. For example, he bounces on a small trampoline before school to calm him down, otherwise he is jumping and clapping all the way to school. It is something that really works for him. He should also undertake the load bearing/weighty activity to improve his muscle strength.  He is very weak and struggles with some tasks like buttons and clips.  The Occupational Therapist met with the school to explain this, however they had not read the report and even mislaid it. 

Sorry for the confusion and thank you for the reply.

• Thank you. Sorry, to clarify 'Sensory Diet' are activities throughout the day to regulate his behaviour and sensory needs. For example, he bounces on a small trampoline before school to calm him down, otherwise he is jumping and clapping all the way to school. It is something that really works for him. He should also undertake the load bearing/weighty activity to improve his muscle strength.  He is very weak and struggles with some tasks like buttons and clips.  The Occupational Therapist met with the school to explain this, however they had not read the report and even mislaid it. 

Sorry for the confusion and thank you for the reply.

Children
  • Hi and thank you for sharing your story with all of us. I just wanted to reach out because my son also has sensory issues and while he was in the mainstream (now homeschooled) the teacher was completely uncooperative. She even refused to complete his communication diary. We have been homeschooling since Feb but it still rattles my bones when I think about it. Having said that, I want to be part of the solution too. So reading your post, there are a few unanswered questions in my mind. First, if your son has been diagnosed I'm assuming you're working the school SENCO who should ensure that your child's needs are being met? Is it possible to apply for 1 2 1 hours/funding, with the help of SENCO, for your child? This person would be able to facilitate the sensory diet. Some schools also have Thrive programmes which are designed to support the wellbeing and needs of children. I am not sure if any of this will be helpful to you but I thought it was worth a mention. 

• This is similar to the sensory exercises my daughter does she bounces up and down on the spot ( no trampoline would be a recipe for disaster with the other kids!) then does stretching and Co ordination activities then strength pushing against a wall. She does some of these at playtime and lunchtime she started this herself as she felt better after doing them at home so just started doing it at school!