Occupational Therapy at School

Hello everyone,

My son , aged 8, was diagnosed on the Autistic Spectrum in August, although we have always known that he is.  One area that is of real benefit to him, is Occuaptional Therapy, which is helping resolve some sensory issues that he has.  

Our problem is getting the school on board. While they are happy to recognise he has sensory needs, they will not implement our sensory diet in school. We are getting a lot of lip service and recognition of his needs, but nothing concrete to help him throughout the day.  These are simple things such as stretches, carrying, blowing, jumping and bouncing etc.  He should do them at set times of day.   

Does anyone else follow a sensory diet? and how does your school implement it? are they on board with it? or does your child manage it himself?

Parents
  • I only know of sensory diets being used in SEN schools. I'm sure there must be children in mainstream that do. Has the school said why they don't want to get on board with it? The exercises he needs to do don't sounds like they would be difficult to integrate into a school day. Do you have a written report from his OT? Who have you spoken to at the school? Just his class teacher or senco etc as well? I would keep pushing it if I were you. Some children would be able to manage it by themselves but others not. He would need some support to get into the routine at least.

• I only know of sensory diets being used in SEN schools. I'm sure there must be children in mainstream that do. Has the school said why they don't want to get on board with it? The exercises he needs to do don't sounds like they would be difficult to integrate into a school day. Do you have a written report from his OT? Who have you spoken to at the school? Just his class teacher or senco etc as well? I would keep pushing it if I were you. Some children would be able to manage it by themselves but others not. He would need some support to get into the routine at least.

Children
No Data