Hi I am newly diagnosed

HI I am 45 and just received my diagnosis 5 weeks ago , I feel like I still have my training wheels on somewhat .

I haven't got the report back form the psychologist yet long wait I think.

And because of my age I am in a limbo about help /support I have begun the journey on the PIP side ( yikes ) .

But I am in Derby and there is nothing asides a group in Ripley for my age range.

Parents
  • Hi. I am self diagnosed aged 60 but I am also in Derby. I am unsure about getting a diagnosis. How tricky did you find it?

• I think it depends on where you are.  I think my partner and I were fairly lucky in that Berkshire does have an adult diagnosis centre, but we both had about an 18 month wait for the assessment.  We both prepped the EQ and AQ tests plus a bit of suitable life history and reasoning and got our GP to refer us.  If the wait is a problem for you, then a private diagnosis might be necessary. 

We didn't mind the wait so much, we were just glad to be on the list, but we didn't phone them every 3 or 4 months, just to check we were still on the list and hadn't missed any communications or been accidentally forgotten about.  It wasn't the wait itself per-se, just that with it being so long the anxiety crept in that you may have missed an appointment letter or something, or somehow been dropped off the list due to some accidental mistake or other.

• I think it depends on where you are.  I think my partner and I were fairly lucky in that Berkshire does have an adult diagnosis centre, but we both had about an 18 month wait for the assessment.  We both prepped the EQ and AQ tests plus a bit of suitable life history and reasoning and got our GP to refer us.  If the wait is a problem for you, then a private diagnosis might be necessary. 

We didn't mind the wait so much, we were just glad to be on the list, but we didn't phone them every 3 or 4 months, just to check we were still on the list and hadn't missed any communications or been accidentally forgotten about.  It wasn't the wait itself per-se, just that with it being so long the anxiety crept in that you may have missed an appointment letter or something, or somehow been dropped off the list due to some accidental mistake or other.

Children
No Data