Hello!

My name is Katie. I'm 29 years old and live in a town called Consett in County Durham. 

I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome last year in August. Ever since then I've had people ask how I feel about it and I still don't know over a year on. I guess it answers a few things and why I've been struggling with everyday things and delayed milestones such as getting a full-time job etc. 

My interests include Greek Mythology, listening to music, writing, reading, learning things (although I have trouble processing information from anything academic), and zentangling. 

Thanks for reading :)

Parents
  • Welcome, Katie.

Yes, I know just what you mean by the post-diagnosis confusion, and I know that many others here do to. It does take time, especially after a late-diagnosis, but you have come to the right place. Part of the confusion is that when they assess you, they're only looking for the particular things that are needed for a diagnosis. Unfortunately, this leaves out a lot of things that loads of us experience, but which the doctor's never talk about. Most of them haven't actually lived an autistic life, so they just can't really know. There are people here at all different stages, from loads of different backgrounds, and they're wonderfully helpful and supportive. Have a poke around and don't be afraid to ask absolutely anything.

I had never heard of zentangling before; and I'm really liking some of the stuff I'm seeing on-line. I used to do a bit of painting years ago, always intuitively making abstracts; but I'm a bit too messy to do that in a rented house, and I'm kind of missing having a hands-on artsy hobby. Thanks for introducing me to that, it could be just what I need now that winter's coming!

• Welcome, Katie.

Yes, I know just what you mean by the post-diagnosis confusion, and I know that many others here do to. It does take time, especially after a late-diagnosis, but you have come to the right place. Part of the confusion is that when they assess you, they're only looking for the particular things that are needed for a diagnosis. Unfortunately, this leaves out a lot of things that loads of us experience, but which the doctor's never talk about. Most of them haven't actually lived an autistic life, so they just can't really know. There are people here at all different stages, from loads of different backgrounds, and they're wonderfully helpful and supportive. Have a poke around and don't be afraid to ask absolutely anything.

I had never heard of zentangling before; and I'm really liking some of the stuff I'm seeing on-line. I used to do a bit of painting years ago, always intuitively making abstracts; but I'm a bit too messy to do that in a rented house, and I'm kind of missing having a hands-on artsy hobby. Thanks for introducing me to that, it could be just what I need now that winter's coming!

Children