New to this forum

Hello people, I am a 24 year old man from the north east who suffers from A among other things, thought I would see if any of the information on here is/will be relevent and help me in anyway, shame adults are just shoved out into the world by the system without a net and have to relay on google searches.

• Cure? No. Benefit? Absolutely

An important distinction, but I don't see the 'absolutely'.

It might be nice to think there's some undiscovered palliative out there, but it's probably very individual at best. Of the three you cite, only the Navarro paper is directly concerned with probiotics and autism and concludes 'These recommendations are not evidence-based.'. Here's a recent news story suggesting mass-produced probiotics probably don't even affect gut bacteria much: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45434753

Some anecdotal evidence is interesting, but "Then you'll be in control, and feel better" is surely an overstatement, and doesn't seem relevant to what Luke posted. He didn't mention control or even how he's feeling. So I don't think such comments should be 'silenced', but would be better to be nuanced and clarified, as we're doing now.

(Having said that, I've got a gut problem at the moment, so will get some mass-produced probiotics just imagining my digestive system is receptive. TMI, maybe, but odd how the mind works.)

• Cure? No. Benefit? Absolutely.

I'm very anti quackery, but pro science, funny that, eh.

Could you imagine any other minority whose voice is silenced and moderated by those not within said cohort, whose extremely valuble experiences are cast aside?

“Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”

• Blood–brain barrier and intestinal epithelial barrier alterations in autism spectrum disorders

Background

Autism spectrum disorders (ASD) are complex conditions whose pathogenesis may be attributed to gene–environment interactions. There are no definitive mechanisms explaining how environmental triggers can lead to ASD although the involvement of inflammation and immunity has been suggested. Inappropriate antigen trafficking through an impaired intestinal barrier, followed by passage of these antigens or immune-activated complexes through a permissive blood–brain barrier (BBB), can be part of the chain of events leading to these disorders. Our goal was to investigate whether an altered BBB and gut permeability is part of the pathophysiology of ASD.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5129651/

Can probiotics benefit children with autism spectrum disorders?

Abstract

Children with autism are commonly affected by gastrointestinal problems such as abdominal pain, constipation and diarrhea. In recent years, there has been a growing interest in the use of probiotics in this population, as it hypothetically may help to improve bowel habits and the behavioral and social functioning of these individuals. The gut microbiome plays an important role in the pathophysiology of organic as well as functional gastrointestinal disorders. Microbial modification with the use of antibiotics, probiotics, and fecal transplantation have been effective in the treatment of conditions such as recurrent Clostridium difficile infection, pouchitis, and irritable bowel syndrome. The present review presents a number of reported clinical, immunological and microbiome-related changes seen in children with autism compared to normally developed children. It also discusses gut inflammation, permeability concerns, and absorption abnormalities that may contribute to these problems. Most importantly, it discusses evidence, from human and animal studies, of a potential role of probiotics in the treatment of gastrointestinal symptoms in children with autism.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5155168/

Role of Lactobacillus reuteri in Human Health and Diseases

Lactobacillus reuteri (L. reuteri) is a well-studied probiotic bacterium that can colonize a large number of mammals. In humans, L. reuteri is found in different body sites, including the gastrointestinal tract, urinary tract, skin, and *** milk. The abundance of L. reuteri varies among different individuals. Several beneficial effects of L. reuteri have been noted. First, L. reuteri can produce antimicrobial molecules, such as organic acids, ethanol, and reuterin. Due to its antimicrobial activity, L. reuteri is able to inhibit the colonization of pathogenic microbes and remodel the commensal microbiota composition in the host. Second, L. reuteri can benefit the host immune system. For instance, some L. reuteri strains can reduce the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines while promoting regulatory T cell development and function. Third, bearing the ability to strengthen the intestinal barrier, the colonization of L. reuteri may decrease the microbial translocation from the gut lumen to the tissues. Microbial translocation across the intestinal epithelium has been hypothesized as an initiator of inflammation. Therefore, inflammatory diseases, including those located in the gut as well as in remote tissues, may be ameliorated by increasing the colonization of L. reuteri. Notably, the decrease in the abundance of L. reuteri in humans in the past decades is correlated with an increase in the incidences of inflammatory diseases over the same period of time. Direct supplementation or prebiotic modulation of L. reuteri may be an attractive preventive and/or therapeutic avenue against inflammatory diseases.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5917019/

• Dear Caroline,

You may like to have a look at the National Autistic Society's position statement on therapies and interventions:

www.autism.org.uk/get-involved/media-centre/position-statements/interventions.aspx

Kind regards,

Ayshe Mod

• Hello Luke  I'm Caroline, 53, and I cured my symptoms about 2 years ago, after 40 years of hell worlds.

Research pro and pre biotic foods and drinks. Also, get Magnesium flakes and have hot baths with magnesium flakes in it. It's like being hugged by an angel, and you'll sleep much better afterwards.

The probiotic food I prefer is Fermented Milk called KEFIR from the Polish shop, also from Health food shops, but that's expensive. I blend it with banana and frozen berries. It tastes like Yogurt, but it's much better than yogurt.

Then I have Kombucha, which is a fermented Tea. The Chinese call it the tea of Immortality.

Then I got incredible results from eating Roquefort Cheese with apple. I slice the apple into thin circles, spread the cheese on, and make a sandwich with two pieces of apple. It's alright like that. Or I have it with tomato, in the same way, like a tomato sandwich with Roquefort in the middle. Otherwise I blend the Roquefort into a salad dressing and dress a lettuce salad with it.

Miso paste is also great. Pickles, sauerkraut, and Kimchi are also great.

Research probiotic foods and drinks, and start to repair your second brain which is in your guts. You can make a lot of it yourself.

Then you'll be in control, and feel better.

Best Wishes

Caroline

• Isn't social mimicry commonly part of how Aspies try to hide their condition?

• Well you won't get that here! I've only ever had that said by a few "neurotypicals", not that I was lying or faking but that I'm "not that Autistic". I'm not terrible at interacting with people and I think that that is why I get that reaction. I'm way down on the sensory spectrum though, so people don't see me when I'm feeling bad. I honestly don't know what reaction I'd give if another person on the spectrum had that reaction. It must be pretty frustrating!

We generally get along here though. Some heated debates occasionally but no-one seems to take anything to heart. So feel free to discuss what you like.

• Hello Luke. I'm a newbie on here too. Everyone I've encountered on here so far is friendly, supportive and most importantly understands what it's like to be autistic.   Slight smile

• Well I was diagnosed very young in life and got loads of support but no prep for adulthood or after support

• I have one but only use it for the intended purpose of showing to the emergency services, People who do not know about it I can deal with but it is when other sufferers shun me and think I am lying of faking is what really gets me!

• Welcome, Luke.

shame adults are just shoved out into the world by the system without a net and have to relay on google searches.

I was one of the lucky ones. I didn't have to do a Google search. My assessment was followed by a very comprehensive and thorough process of handing me a leaflet directing me to this very forum! Laughing

(I had already joined months earlier, of course. Rolling eyes)

• You won't have that problem here. Don't let the bastards get you down! Have you tried getting an alert card? It usually shuts people up.

• Thanks all for the welcome, I have never had the opportunity to speak with other people like me and I am usually shunned by people who learn I have it because I have learned to hide it so am classed as a liar or a faker...