Hi, I am new on here with a 21 year old autistic son, live in Leicestershire

Hello All

My son has been recently diagnosed with aspergers/autism he has had dyspraxia since 4 years old.

We get very little help, he has done volunteer work but sadly all he wants is a job. We are having another attempt at getting him into college,

he is getting very low-could i ask if anyone knows any clubs, or holiday venues or any ideas of help please?

Parents
  • Hi, 

I'm in the same part of the country as you :) what sort of interests and hobbies does your son have?
    I have never been drawn to partaking in any autism-specific groups, but I know of a few social activity-based groups that happen to have a fair few aspies in attendance (myself included). 

Also, re. finding work, have you tried speaking to Remploy? They are an organisation based in Leicester who help people with disabilities, mental health issues, etc. get into work and support them when they are working (a close relative of mine who is a similar age to your son used their services when he was first seeking work and is currently working for them).

• Hi, 

I'm in the same part of the country as you :) what sort of interests and hobbies does your son have?
    I have never been drawn to partaking in any autism-specific groups, but I know of a few social activity-based groups that happen to have a fair few aspies in attendance (myself included). 

Also, re. finding work, have you tried speaking to Remploy? They are an organisation based in Leicester who help people with disabilities, mental health issues, etc. get into work and support them when they are working (a close relative of mine who is a similar age to your son used their services when he was first seeking work and is currently working for them).

Children
  • Hi Emma

Thanks for your reply. He likes watching sport, music, films, Xbox. I too am not a big fan of partaking, although i have been on a committee for a dyspraxia group for 15 years. He has recently asked about attending other groups as I feel he is lonely. He spends a lot of time with me and the family.

I have tried Remploy on a number of occasions but sadly they have not returned calls or replied to my emails. He is hopefully starting college in September to do animal care so that might motivate and cheer him up for a year and then i will re approach Remploy?

It is hard work and I need a break away with my husband on our own next year (he usually comes) and I am trying to find respite or somewhere or even a holiday for him?