Newly diagnosed

Hello,
I’m Nick and hopefully this will work because I’ve already written this post four times it just won’t post. So here we go again...
I’m new to the whole autism thing so if anything I say is kind of offensive, I am sorry, completely unintentional.
I was diagnosed with epilepsy 21 years ago, l don’t know if that could be connected but I guess that’s something I’ll have to ask a doctor.
I got an autism diagnosis today and I was really surprised but my family seemed to think it was quite obvious.
Until quite recently, the only view of autism I’ve had is from the tv and films such as Big Bang Theory and Good Will Hunting, I’m guessing these portrayals are horribly inaccurate. I thought (no offense intended) that all people with autism were either learning disabled or else obscenely clever and since I don’t fit either of these descriptions I assumed I was not autistic.
Does autism affects the look of facial features? Would other people be able to tell? I have always thought I looked bad in photos but then, does anyone like photos of themselves, also I tend to tense up when people take photos.
I understand that autism limits your ability to read others' emotions, and that we/ I find socializing difficult. But to what extent is your/our ability to read others' body language impaired?
I have lots more questions, but for now I’m just going to leave it at that because it probably won’t post anyway.

Parents
  • Does autism affects the look of facial features? Would other people be able to tell? I have always thought I looked bad in photos but then, does anyone like photos of themselves, also I tend to tense up when people take photos.
    I understand that autism limits your ability to read others' emotions, and that we/ I find socializing difficult. But to what extent is your/our ability to read others' body language impaired?

Greetings. Autism is not like "Downs Syndrome" or similar, and so, No, it does not affect appearence in that way.

I do not like being photographed either, but, as you see my UserName, this happens a lot anyway and I do not like it when it is without my own consent. Thus - upon being photographed, one may not appear as "cheery" as those who do like to be photographed.

I read the emotions of others just fine, yet sometimes I must ignore them and carry on with what I need to do.

...In short - Autism is different for everyone... just like being not Autistic!

(I have never seen any of the programmes which you list, sorry. And that is yet another difference.)

• Does autism affects the look of facial features? Would other people be able to tell? I have always thought I looked bad in photos but then, does anyone like photos of themselves, also I tend to tense up when people take photos.

Greetings. Autism is not like "Downs Syndrome" or similar, and so, No, it does not affect appearence in that way.

I do not like being photographed either, but, as you see my UserName, this happens a lot anyway and I do not like it when it is without my own consent. Thus - upon being photographed, one may not appear as "cheery" as those who do like to be photographed.

I read the emotions of others just fine, yet sometimes I must ignore them and carry on with what I need to do.

...In short - Autism is different for everyone... just like being not Autistic!

(I have never seen any of the programmes which you list, sorry. And that is yet another difference.)

Children
No Data