Potty Training - 4 Year old Son with HFA

Hi All,

My son is a 4 year old diagnosed with HFA.  He finds going for a poo stressful and holds on to it for as long as he can (sometimes days weeks on end).  We long for a life without movicol, and a loo trained son.  Does anybody have any advice how to stop him holding on, and to get him to engage with the concept of going to the loo without it being stressful for him?

Thanks advance! 

Parents
  • my daughter was difficult to toilet train to be honest she was in nappies longer than i was happy with . i think the worst thing to do is to make A THING of it if u understand. stop talking about it and just leave the subject awhile. also i found that taking the child with u to the toilet and making brief simple conversation about going loo reinforces where it should go and what everyone does. (this worked wonders training my 5th daughter who was out of nappies in the day at 20 months)

with my daughter who now is high functioning when she chooses to be she still has issues with toilet more that she will go in her bed on purpose if shes upset. i found that the more pressure and stress that is put on the subject the worse it will get. 

also as autistic kids love routine you could always try a toilet rotor of trips to the loo to try on the toilet or something like that

• my daughter was difficult to toilet train to be honest she was in nappies longer than i was happy with . i think the worst thing to do is to make A THING of it if u understand. stop talking about it and just leave the subject awhile. also i found that taking the child with u to the toilet and making brief simple conversation about going loo reinforces where it should go and what everyone does. (this worked wonders training my 5th daughter who was out of nappies in the day at 20 months)

with my daughter who now is high functioning when she chooses to be she still has issues with toilet more that she will go in her bed on purpose if shes upset. i found that the more pressure and stress that is put on the subject the worse it will get. 

also as autistic kids love routine you could always try a toilet rotor of trips to the loo to try on the toilet or something like that

Children
No Data