Hi, parent of 19 year old desperate for help

Hi, I am here in desperation! I have no where else to turn for advice as doctors are useless. My son is 19 and I believe he has Aspergers. He needs a diagnosis but the doctors just send him away with anti depressants. He is so sad and lonely and unable to function in daily life as he is afraid of pretty much everything. He is intelligent and caring but socialy awkward and shuts down in public. 

We have reached breaking point and it’s difficult to cope as a family as we don’t know what to do to help him. 

Has anyone else experienced this as nobody around us understands and I have no idea what to do next.

Our local mental health services are a joke and fairly non existant so we can’t go back to the doctors as they give him more tablets and send him home. 

Is there really nothing out there for people with mental health problems and their families?  

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi, thanks for the links, we have been through the system since he was six. He was diagnosed with OCD at 12 but it has since manifested into severe social anxiety/eating disorder/depression it feels like there are so many things going on the doctors don’t know how to handle it. We have been back several times with extended appointments. He and I both really want a diagnosis for him but they seem reluctant to refer him.  It’s all I ask of them but feel like I am banging my head against the wall. He is taking the tablets and following their advice but he is declining rapidly week by week. I am scared for him. What on earth do I need to do to get a referral or some actual help? CBT does not work as already tried twice.