Newly Diagnosed.

Good Evening everyone,

Firstly I should start by saying what a pleasure it is to find a place whereby there is an opportunity to discuss things without having to explain yourself. I am 43 years old and it has taken me this long to receive a diagnosis of being ASD despite having tried many times over the years. I have been told that because I am articulate that I don't have any troubles. This is despite my wife accompanying me to appointments in the past. What makes it worse is that both of us work within the health field, she is a qualified nurse whilst I am a healthcare support working at my local hospital. In due course, I'll probably return to this topic several times but for now, I just wanted to introduce myself.

In the past, I've fallen through gaps in local mental health services as well as previously being diagnosed as having PTSD only to be told by a counsellor that I am obviously fine. I put this down to the fact that when I was in my counselling sessions I spoke matter of factly without emotion and without bursting into tears or getting angry. I'm guessing that I'm not alone in my experiences in the past and this just proves how little understanding there is despite the fact that Autism is rarely out of the news.

Getting a diagnosis won't change my life although if I had it earlier undoubtedly my life would have been much easier and I would not have had the difficulties that I have had. However, having said that I have wanted answers to explain how I've felt my whole life. 

I will look forward to getting involved with the forums and meeting people, exchanging ideas and learning as I go along.

Parents Reply Children
No Data