If you have a diagnosis for more than one health condition/disability/learning disabilities.. How do they interact and how do you manage?

In the end I'm just me. But I have what seems a long list of issues and I keep wondering which bits are for what diagnosis and how to deal with them. Or do I just  accept everything as a whole.. If you have multiple health issues or multiple diversity how do you manage? 

Parents
  • My diagnosed conditions are DCD, & depression with anxiety.

Currently got a sore back and I've been really busy. My DCD is rampant because of how the pain takes up the brain space needed for motor control. I know this because of my intention tremor being visible and constant. If I'm well it's only before a substantial effort in movement 

My beloved was upfront enough to ask if we needed to make a few adjustments in our kitchen routines to deal with the increased risk of injury when I'm in this kind of state. 

a) it's amazing to have someone notice

b) I'm so pleased he's feeling he can ask - because of his experiences of domestic violence he's often struggling to bring up potentially emotional topics...and I can get upset when I can't do "normal" things

• Hi Quirky, I don't know much about DCD and don't think I have enough brain space to look it up right now, but I'm curious about your 'intention tremor'.  I have said elsewhere that shaking (mainly just my hands) is a current major problem and it is mainly triggered around social/performance anxiety and that makes sense.  There are other instances I've noticed though that are different and your mention of the kitchen has brought it into focus. I work alone in my studio at the end of the garden with no one but the dog watching, so no pressure there and I often am drawing tiny repetitive details, these days when I know these details are coming up I start to shake so that I can't draw them.  Also when I go to prepare food, again alone in the kitchen, I often start shaking to the point where I'm not really safe to be in charge of a sharp knife and cut up an onion.

Just wondered if you have any thoughts on this, I don't think I have DCD as I've always thought I was quite coordinated but I was slow learning to ride a bike and still don't feel that safe riding one, which has made me wonder.  Maybe it's something I should look into.

I hope you are taking good care of yourself as you always seem to be very busy taking good care of the people around you and are so full of sense and practical ways forward.  You are always inspiring.  I know you have an exercise routine but when you mentioned your back pain I wondered if you've ever tried a Pilates table thing, I have a cheap one from a shopping channel and when I use it (not doing so at the moment) I know it eases neck pain and makes me feel much better as it's all about helping your body to be balanced with itself.  It' much easier to work with/against the table than just doing Pilates on the floor.  Just a thought. :)

• Another interesting post .. Yes I think you might find looking into dcd helpful. There is a book by Mary Colley which is very helpful as is the dyspraxia foundation.. It is surprising what symptoms the condition covers.. and yes I am still more than unsafe wobbling on a bicycle but looking into a recumbent tricycle. I have done Pilates in the past which I really enjoyed but I found getting up and down from the floor and kneeling difficult and too embarrassed to continue the instructors alternatives whilst everyone else doing the same thing. Would you tell me more about the Pilates table and how you use it? There are remedial classes if I drive to the local city but expensive. I am not very motivated to exercise by myself but can't stand the noise and claustrophobia of the local sports centre. I do get out for walks a bit though. 

• Thanks Spotty for all the excellent information and taking the time to tell me. Not at all rambling but useful. ou've got it just right too on all points. Practicality, price and motivation wise but will have a look to follow up what you've said. This conversation has reminded me of the Benefits of a strong core and flexibility as my body becomes less mobile and still painful. Thank you

• Glad your kindling production went without incident.  I had to do a bit of research on the Pilates as I've had my machine for a long time.  Joseph Pilates originally invented what is truly called the Reformer as a rehabilitation apparatus and it can all get very complicated.  I came accross what was being sold as the Pilates Performer on QVC years ago (don't ask what I was doing watching shopping channels back then, who knows) there was a lot of demonstrating and I was intrigued.

There is still some of it on the QVC website but it's now called Aero Pilates and there is a website aeropilates.co.uk which is worth looking at for all the videos, you will get the idea.  A proper Reformer is £1500 upwards and they are huge beautiful wooden things, the Aero one's are more like £4-600 but the point is they are all over ebay and the second hand market for much less.

This is probably because they do take up a bit of room, which you may have a problem with as your house is obviously as cluttered as mine!  They are described as portable but in reality they are not super light to fold up and down, so the whole point of it being such an easy and effective form of excersise only really applies if you can leave it out somewhere, from memory you need about 7ft by your arm span.

I hope this isn't sounding too negative but I don't want to get you excited about something that may be completely impractical.  These cheap ones are only just off the floor but you can get a stand to raise them and most of the beginner exersises that I remember doing were lying down or sitting up.

I know this is a ramble but my point is that I struggle to motivate myself and dislike classes and the gym but when this thing was out and accessable I used it, loved using it and it was surprisingly effective with just a 20 min session of basic moves. I know it's not aerobic but I feel like flexiblility and strength are really valuable especially as we get older, it is supposed to help with pain and got rid of my stiff neck.

It's worth googling Pilates Reformer and the Aero Pilates site just for the videos.  Now shut up Spotty!

• Glad your kindling production went without incident.  I had to do a bit of research on the Pilates as I've had my machine for a long time.  Joseph Pilates originally invented what is truly called the Reformer as a rehabilitation apparatus and it can all get very complicated.  I came accross what was being sold as the Pilates Performer on QVC years ago (don't ask what I was doing watching shopping channels back then, who knows) there was a lot of demonstrating and I was intrigued.

There is still some of it on the QVC website but it's now called Aero Pilates and there is a website aeropilates.co.uk which is worth looking at for all the videos, you will get the idea.  A proper Reformer is £1500 upwards and they are huge beautiful wooden things, the Aero one's are more like £4-600 but the point is they are all over ebay and the second hand market for much less.

This is probably because they do take up a bit of room, which you may have a problem with as your house is obviously as cluttered as mine!  They are described as portable but in reality they are not super light to fold up and down, so the whole point of it being such an easy and effective form of excersise only really applies if you can leave it out somewhere, from memory you need about 7ft by your arm span.

I hope this isn't sounding too negative but I don't want to get you excited about something that may be completely impractical.  These cheap ones are only just off the floor but you can get a stand to raise them and most of the beginner exersises that I remember doing were lying down or sitting up.

I know this is a ramble but my point is that I struggle to motivate myself and dislike classes and the gym but when this thing was out and accessable I used it, loved using it and it was surprisingly effective with just a 20 min session of basic moves. I know it's not aerobic but I feel like flexiblility and strength are really valuable especially as we get older, it is supposed to help with pain and got rid of my stiff neck.

It's worth googling Pilates Reformer and the Aero Pilates site just for the videos.  Now shut up Spotty!

Children
  • Thanks Spotty for all the excellent information and taking the time to tell me. Not at all rambling but useful. ou've got it just right too on all points. Practicality, price and motivation wise but will have a look to follow up what you've said. This conversation has reminded me of the Benefits of a strong core and flexibility as my body becomes less mobile and still painful. Thank you