Help please

My son has just turned 7 and we got told he has autisum one of his new things is licking his hands and scratching them or licking hes legs when you ask him what he is doing just looks dont think he knows hes doing it. I was just wondering if any one has had this or any advice eould be great thanks

Vicky

Parents
  • Hello Vicky, This is my opinion based on a long life of watching life go on around me... We, as humans, 'observe'... and most parents come to realize that children 'take in' far more than most adults realize...  and so it is that sometimes, we first as children, and then as adults, expand our 'human experience' by choosing to experience what we observe by 'doing such things ourselves'  (like swimming  : )   - and the hoped for result may either be to understand what others 'get out of such an experience' or maybe to 'learn something that may move us along in understanding something else we might like to do' - like eventually learning to surf... 

Life is not cubbyholed events but a series of interwoven chains, or threads, of events that we draw understanding from...

We imitate, we experience, we justify our curiosity, we sometimes fail, but sometimes we succeed... and the success doesn't always 'have a name' or 'a definable reason of 'WHY' we have chosen to do such a thing...

Is it possible that your son has been observing a cat? I often see my cat doing such things... and even the hand scratching sounds like a slightly altered action of a cat 'kneading a blanket' before they lay down on it for a nap.

Maybe he is acting out a questioning of why a cat does such things...

May the best of good things come into your life to bless you, your family and your son....   

• Thank you so much for your reply we do have a cat so this could be a reasson he is doing it

Reply Children
  • I am so happy that it may have been of some help  : )   I would love to hear how things move along with you and your son... and know that  you are not alone for there are people who truly care...  and although I am new here, I have seen a great deal of what seems like a true, heartfelt, caring, in the forums of this community...