Autism Advisory Service Hertfordshire

I don't feel Hertfordshire Autism Advisory Service (and is employed by the education authority and visits schools to provide advice on how best to meet children's needs in school) is all that good and it would be interesting to see if other people in Hertfordshire feel the same way. The support has been thin to say the least. They have advised not to go for a Statement and also Ed Psych meeting. It just seems odd. If you don't test for what you have, how do you move forward? The County are just brainwashed into saving money all the time.

G's needs have not been assessed recently and I also feel unsure about the help he needs that is why I feel he needs to be assessed by an Ed Psych. I now feel I have to justify this but don't have any really good answers yet apart from I need him tested. - I will justify it in the end with all the info on the chat community. It will just take time to trawl through all the posts.

I feel like a full-time researcher!

H

Parents
  • It is good to hear that Allison is happy with support from AAS in Hertfordshire. There are no Autism teams here in Goucestershire and we are now on our 3rd GP! It is a constant battle and very stressful keep having to explain to health and social services our sons autistic needs due to their lack of understanding! And yet the Autism Act 2009 states they are legaly required to have this knowledge! The equality act is also not being adhered to and am putting toghter a portfolio for my local MP with evidence to support this to try and ensure measures are taken to implement these acts!

In contrast we had a very good relationship and direct contact with our GP and neurologist in Berkshre and an epilepsy nurse from the local LD team.. Nothing like this exists here!

I moved here 4 years ago from Berkshire and was an active member of the Berkshire Autistic Society and found it a great source of support... This area lacks this type of invaluable support... And h & s services here are 'not fit for purpose!'

It is a huge struggle but I am currently doing a teacher/trainner qualification and a Masters in Autism which will give me a NAS accreditation to run Autism workshops in this area to raise awareness...

I have found that health & social services here have a very negative impact on my autistic sons and are far from setting a good role model to build confidence in their communication and sensory difficulties!

• It is good to hear that Allison is happy with support from AAS in Hertfordshire. There are no Autism teams here in Goucestershire and we are now on our 3rd GP! It is a constant battle and very stressful keep having to explain to health and social services our sons autistic needs due to their lack of understanding! And yet the Autism Act 2009 states they are legaly required to have this knowledge! The equality act is also not being adhered to and am putting toghter a portfolio for my local MP with evidence to support this to try and ensure measures are taken to implement these acts!

In contrast we had a very good relationship and direct contact with our GP and neurologist in Berkshre and an epilepsy nurse from the local LD team.. Nothing like this exists here!

I moved here 4 years ago from Berkshire and was an active member of the Berkshire Autistic Society and found it a great source of support... This area lacks this type of invaluable support... And h & s services here are 'not fit for purpose!'

It is a huge struggle but I am currently doing a teacher/trainner qualification and a Masters in Autism which will give me a NAS accreditation to run Autism workshops in this area to raise awareness...

I have found that health & social services here have a very negative impact on my autistic sons and are far from setting a good role model to build confidence in their communication and sensory difficulties!

Children
No Data