Children's tests used on adult assessment?

I've raised this before but so far, I still don;t know what the situation actually is.  

On my first assessment (clinical psychologist), I was give two tests that seemed to me to be designed for young children. One was a picture book, with castles and a dragon, with no words. The task was to try to tell a story as the pages went by.

The other test was a small collection of objects placed on the desk (eg: a Matchbox model car, a rubber band, a coin, some wool, a stick - that sort of thing anyway). The task was to use some/all of the objects to construct a sstory.

At my second meeting with the clin psych (CP from now on to save typing!), I asked whether they had been tests designed for children and I was told that they were not - they were designed fro adults, and the tests for children are simpler.  That's what I was told.

The CP told me that although, at out 1st meeting, I had shown some signs of AS I had also shown some quite strong negative signs. When I asked in what way, I was told that I had done "too well" in the tests.  I did say that after 55 years I have learned quite a lot in life, and that they weren't exactly difficult. But no way of knowing what imprression saying that made.

So, to get to my point / question:

Does anyone know about these tests?  Can anyone say whether they are meant for children or adults? Does anyone think (as I do) that for a CP to apparently be leaning toiwards a negative diagnosis based largely upon being too good at these tests just wouldn't be right?

Somebody must know the answer! I've been trying to find anything on Google but I'm at giving up point - not a thing I can find.  I want to know because if they are aimed at children (and they certainly seem like it to me, though I'll keep an open mind), then their validty must be questionable applied to me.

Parents
  • Technophobe23 said:

To feel that a positive diagnosis could be denied me because I did 'too well' in stupid tests like these, would make me quite angry, and very depressed.

They may be stupid tests because you can't imagine that they would be useful! There is a possibility that they did help the diagnostic staff to form an opinion. Also you are likely to be struggling with being too categorical in your thinking.

I remember a time at primary school when I was being asked to pretend to be a tree in a drama class. I remember this, 50 years later, and my memory of it was what a stupid thing to be asked to do. I have thought that many things were stupid since then but often I was probably just lacking the imagination to believe that anything outside the truly rational world could be worth anything.

If you are struggling with depression then have you seen therecoveryletters.com/the-recovery-letters I heard about this on an All In the Mind recording from Radio 4.

• Technophobe23 said:

To feel that a positive diagnosis could be denied me because I did 'too well' in stupid tests like these, would make me quite angry, and very depressed.

They may be stupid tests because you can't imagine that they would be useful! There is a possibility that they did help the diagnostic staff to form an opinion. Also you are likely to be struggling with being too categorical in your thinking.

I remember a time at primary school when I was being asked to pretend to be a tree in a drama class. I remember this, 50 years later, and my memory of it was what a stupid thing to be asked to do. I have thought that many things were stupid since then but often I was probably just lacking the imagination to believe that anything outside the truly rational world could be worth anything.

If you are struggling with depression then have you seen therecoveryletters.com/the-recovery-letters I heard about this on an All In the Mind recording from Radio 4.

Children
No Data