Autism and SAD?

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone was aware of any link between Autism Spectrum and Seasonal Affective Disorder?

I was only diagnosed with SAD a week or two ago, but when i thought back on past winters - i realised i seem to be affected more regularly by sensory overloads, or require frequent stimming during the winter time. Whereas in summer, i experience overloads very rarely and stimming is required very little.

Does anyone else feel the same way at all?

Parents
  • Know it's an old post, but yes I've just started thinking of my seasonal depression as a huge increase in sensitivity and autistic traits in the winter.

This includes overloads and meltdowns, stimming, becoming withdrawn and lethargic.

I tried an SSRI this year for the first time, had a small effect on my mood but still felt hugely over stimulated all winter.

• Know it's an old post, but yes I've just started thinking of my seasonal depression as a huge increase in sensitivity and autistic traits in the winter.

This includes overloads and meltdowns, stimming, becoming withdrawn and lethargic.

I tried an SSRI this year for the first time, had a small effect on my mood but still felt hugely over stimulated all winter.

Children
  • And I'm even later to the party!

I joke my neurodiverse ancestry left Scotland to get more sunlight but bought a set of shonky genes they gave me.

I'm in the middle of winter sleepiness. My antidepressant keeps me mostly OK for mood but I'm now really wanting some sunlight.

I strongly suspect they are separate entities (neurodiversity and SAD) but SAD can exacerbate the issues