Autism and SAD?

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone was aware of any link between Autism Spectrum and Seasonal Affective Disorder?

I was only diagnosed with SAD a week or two ago, but when i thought back on past winters - i realised i seem to be affected more regularly by sensory overloads, or require frequent stimming during the winter time. Whereas in summer, i experience overloads very rarely and stimming is required very little.

Does anyone else feel the same way at all?

Parents
  • I remember reading this and thinking someone can better give an input. I know people with SAD but not as far as I know on the spectrum. I had a work colleague who needed a lightbox by his desk in winter.

It does seem to me to be an important question, because it might relate to depression and heightened sensory overload, so really deserves to be discussed. I thought perhaps if I replied I could nudge the topic back into view.

Maybe no-one has ever given a thought to SAD as a factor because we would normally put things down to the autism.

It really needs to be taken seriously

• I remember reading this and thinking someone can better give an input. I know people with SAD but not as far as I know on the spectrum. I had a work colleague who needed a lightbox by his desk in winter.

It does seem to me to be an important question, because it might relate to depression and heightened sensory overload, so really deserves to be discussed. I thought perhaps if I replied I could nudge the topic back into view.

Maybe no-one has ever given a thought to SAD as a factor because we would normally put things down to the autism.

It really needs to be taken seriously

Children
No Data