HELP! I need advice about my employee

I currently employ a lovely young chap of 19. He is an apprentice and has been working with the company for about 4 months. What we originally believed were excentricities are now becoming more noticably signs of Asperger Syndrome. He shows pretty much most of the classic signs. We have asked him to tell us about his medical history but there has been no diagnosis. My staff find him quote difficult to deal with at times as he has ritualistic behaviour which can result in mild arguements, repetive physical behaviours which interfer with his work and many occassions where he has been unable to empathise. To be honest we do not know what to do. My partner and I are both ex teachers and have both had experiences of working with children who have asperger syndrom. He is quite typical of the children we have seen. We feel that if we knew that he had it then we could accomodate his behaviour better..at the moment he leaves us and our staff frustrated an confused by his actions. By knowing we would be able to adjust and accomodate. The main question is "what can we do to help him and thereby help us?" I need to know if he he has the syndrome (although I am pretty sure that he does) and what I can do to support him if anything...?

Parents
  • I am responding to this post although it is quite old. I just wanted you to know that, as somebody with several members of family with ASD, I feel you should be congratulated that you are showing concern and interest in this young man and are trying to help him. So many employers, who don't understand ASD lose patience very quickly and excuses are made in order to get rid of the person concerned. This happens even with a known diagnosis. Life can be extremely challenging in the workplace not just for the person with ASD but also other employees who have no understanding or experience of working with somebody who has the condition. People will be people sadly and so often I have seen people with ASD begin work, manage for a short period of time until other employees find the going to tough or incomprehensible and then the situation can get very unpleasant indeed for the the person concerned. I do hope you find a way to make things easier for both you and you employee.

• I am responding to this post although it is quite old. I just wanted you to know that, as somebody with several members of family with ASD, I feel you should be congratulated that you are showing concern and interest in this young man and are trying to help him. So many employers, who don't understand ASD lose patience very quickly and excuses are made in order to get rid of the person concerned. This happens even with a known diagnosis. Life can be extremely challenging in the workplace not just for the person with ASD but also other employees who have no understanding or experience of working with somebody who has the condition. People will be people sadly and so often I have seen people with ASD begin work, manage for a short period of time until other employees find the going to tough or incomprehensible and then the situation can get very unpleasant indeed for the the person concerned. I do hope you find a way to make things easier for both you and you employee.

Children
No Data