HELP! I need advice about my employee

I currently employ a lovely young chap of 19. He is an apprentice and has been working with the company for about 4 months. What we originally believed were excentricities are now becoming more noticably signs of Asperger Syndrome. He shows pretty much most of the classic signs. We have asked him to tell us about his medical history but there has been no diagnosis. My staff find him quote difficult to deal with at times as he has ritualistic behaviour which can result in mild arguements, repetive physical behaviours which interfer with his work and many occassions where he has been unable to empathise. To be honest we do not know what to do. My partner and I are both ex teachers and have both had experiences of working with children who have asperger syndrom. He is quite typical of the children we have seen. We feel that if we knew that he had it then we could accomodate his behaviour better..at the moment he leaves us and our staff frustrated an confused by his actions. By knowing we would be able to adjust and accomodate. The main question is "what can we do to help him and thereby help us?" I need to know if he he has the syndrome (although I am pretty sure that he does) and what I can do to support him if anything...?

Parents
  • Hello, I've read your post with interest and have this to offer.

Diagnosis, will not be necessary in order to accommodate his needs, all it will do is confirm your suspicions and really that seems it will satisfy you way more than your employee. Additionally, you can take a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Hearing that he may have a problem from his employer, could come as a shock or may indeed confirm what he's suspected but hasn't wanted to act on. I suggest you get some professional advice on this before you talk to him about it.

Your employee, by your account, seems to be a nice young lad, but clearly lacks the understanding of the social etiquette required in the workplace. If, as illustrated, the issues are minor, then I suggest you encourage your other employees to be more tollerent of his behaviour. If, on the other hand, his actions are causing risk of some sort then, that needs to be addresed.

When asking your employee to not stack the boxes in 5, did you give him the reason. I couldn't see one mentioned in your post. It's not enough to tell a person with ASD that they cannot do something, you have to explain why a different method is required and possibly even the potential consquence of such action. (eg: Boxes may fall and get damaged or hurt someone.) You may need to consolidate that instruction a few times before it's set in his mind.

'If you take something out of the toolbox, you have to put something back in!'

As a former teacher you will appreciate this link. It surrounds anxiety and other aspects of living on the spectrum and may give you greater insight into the world of an ASD individual.

www.youtube.com/watch

Sarah Hendrickx also has a consultancy in which she assists conpanies with employment/employee aspects, perhaps a call to her will help.

www.asperger-training.com/.../

I'm sure that; with the right support, this young lad will be a great asset to your company.

Hope this is of some help

Regards

Coogybear

• Hello, I've read your post with interest and have this to offer.

Diagnosis, will not be necessary in order to accommodate his needs, all it will do is confirm your suspicions and really that seems it will satisfy you way more than your employee. Additionally, you can take a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Hearing that he may have a problem from his employer, could come as a shock or may indeed confirm what he's suspected but hasn't wanted to act on. I suggest you get some professional advice on this before you talk to him about it.

Your employee, by your account, seems to be a nice young lad, but clearly lacks the understanding of the social etiquette required in the workplace. If, as illustrated, the issues are minor, then I suggest you encourage your other employees to be more tollerent of his behaviour. If, on the other hand, his actions are causing risk of some sort then, that needs to be addresed.

When asking your employee to not stack the boxes in 5, did you give him the reason. I couldn't see one mentioned in your post. It's not enough to tell a person with ASD that they cannot do something, you have to explain why a different method is required and possibly even the potential consquence of such action. (eg: Boxes may fall and get damaged or hurt someone.) You may need to consolidate that instruction a few times before it's set in his mind.

'If you take something out of the toolbox, you have to put something back in!'

As a former teacher you will appreciate this link. It surrounds anxiety and other aspects of living on the spectrum and may give you greater insight into the world of an ASD individual.

www.youtube.com/watch

Sarah Hendrickx also has a consultancy in which she assists conpanies with employment/employee aspects, perhaps a call to her will help.

www.asperger-training.com/.../

I'm sure that; with the right support, this young lad will be a great asset to your company.

Hope this is of some help

Regards

Coogybear

Children
No Data