ADOS Test for Adults

Is the ADOS test suitable for adults? I don't think it is. I had a test first half of last year and the end result was they couldn't give me a positive diagnosis (partly because I couldn't supply a full childhood history, which is impossible). These tests had me looking through a kids picture book and being asked what the story was! This is absurd. It might be suitable for kids, but for a 41 year old it's a joke.
Parents
  • wishface, you are right - NVLD is a clinical term, but I think it is more widely known about in the USA than it is here. There is in fact a website called NVLDontheweb.org, or something like that. It is common but not essential for people with Asperger's to have the complete NVLD profile, but they can occur separately. All people with AS share with NVLD  problems with interpreting non verbal communication like body language, but people with AS also display obsessive behaviour and more profound social problems.

I definitely meet the full NVLD profile - my performance IQ is very very low -first percentile, while my verbal IQ is 111 - high average. I also have dyscalculia and visual spatial difficulties. If you have NVLD, you will have problems in the following areas: motoric, academic, visual spatial, and social. Unlike people with the classic autism profile the visual domain will not be a strength but a weakness, and it is likely that you will be an auditory, verbal learner; and will need things written down in a step by step fashion. Things should also be talked through and explained because comprehension lags behind rote memory and an advanced vocabulary.

NVLD is not considered to be a diagnostic term but more a description of a specific learning profile that can cause disability if it is not accomodated. You will struggle with practical tasks, making sense of the environment, and will likely be quite clumsy and slow to pick up some tasks that rely on non verbal skills.

• wishface, you are right - NVLD is a clinical term, but I think it is more widely known about in the USA than it is here. There is in fact a website called NVLDontheweb.org, or something like that. It is common but not essential for people with Asperger's to have the complete NVLD profile, but they can occur separately. All people with AS share with NVLD  problems with interpreting non verbal communication like body language, but people with AS also display obsessive behaviour and more profound social problems.

I definitely meet the full NVLD profile - my performance IQ is very very low -first percentile, while my verbal IQ is 111 - high average. I also have dyscalculia and visual spatial difficulties. If you have NVLD, you will have problems in the following areas: motoric, academic, visual spatial, and social. Unlike people with the classic autism profile the visual domain will not be a strength but a weakness, and it is likely that you will be an auditory, verbal learner; and will need things written down in a step by step fashion. Things should also be talked through and explained because comprehension lags behind rote memory and an advanced vocabulary.

NVLD is not considered to be a diagnostic term but more a description of a specific learning profile that can cause disability if it is not accomodated. You will struggle with practical tasks, making sense of the environment, and will likely be quite clumsy and slow to pick up some tasks that rely on non verbal skills.

Children
No Data