Epilim & autism?

I diddnt know till this evening that this epeleptic drug can cause autism, now though i did not take this when pregnant,do you think this could stay in your system or do something that causes it? i started taking this medication when i was around 15 to the age of 18 and wondering if this possibley could be the cause? however it should have well dissapeared out my system????/

Parents
  • www.nhs.uk/.../Causes.aspx

The above link is to a web page on NHS Choices - Autistic spectrum disorder - causes

This looks at various risk factors - genetic, environmental,psychological, neurological and other health conditions.

Under Environmental they include "exposure to medications such as sodium valproate (a medication sometimes used to treat epilepsy) during pregnancy".

They also suggest being born before 35 weeks - premature, and alcohol taken at preganancy, but surely these relationships are easier to pin point. Why cannot I find sodium valproate/valproic acid mentioned on the NAS website?

On genetic factors they say no specific genes linked to AHD have been identified. Siblings of a child with AS have an increased risk, but that's as far as it goes (maybe parents might show some traits, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence to support the idea that parents pass it on).

The psychological factor is Theory of Mind, whether the disposition comes about through that. The neurological factors relate to "over connection" in the cerebral cortex, amygdala and limbic system, which they link with routines and obsessions. That does sound a bit like the kind of changes sodium valproate might be involved with.

They list a number of other medical conditions which may be implicated: fragile X, rett syndrome, tuberous sclerosis (rare), neurofibromatosis (affecting nerve ends), muscular dystrophy, down's syndrome, cerebral palsy, infantile spasms (a type of epilepsy), and intellectual disability.

There are in addition losts of new theories around. I just find the lack of references to sodium valproate given the evidence there is an issue, and a risk, in forums on autism.

• www.nhs.uk/.../Causes.aspx

The above link is to a web page on NHS Choices - Autistic spectrum disorder - causes

This looks at various risk factors - genetic, environmental,psychological, neurological and other health conditions.

Under Environmental they include "exposure to medications such as sodium valproate (a medication sometimes used to treat epilepsy) during pregnancy".

They also suggest being born before 35 weeks - premature, and alcohol taken at preganancy, but surely these relationships are easier to pin point. Why cannot I find sodium valproate/valproic acid mentioned on the NAS website?

On genetic factors they say no specific genes linked to AHD have been identified. Siblings of a child with AS have an increased risk, but that's as far as it goes (maybe parents might show some traits, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence to support the idea that parents pass it on).

The psychological factor is Theory of Mind, whether the disposition comes about through that. The neurological factors relate to "over connection" in the cerebral cortex, amygdala and limbic system, which they link with routines and obsessions. That does sound a bit like the kind of changes sodium valproate might be involved with.

They list a number of other medical conditions which may be implicated: fragile X, rett syndrome, tuberous sclerosis (rare), neurofibromatosis (affecting nerve ends), muscular dystrophy, down's syndrome, cerebral palsy, infantile spasms (a type of epilepsy), and intellectual disability.

There are in addition losts of new theories around. I just find the lack of references to sodium valproate given the evidence there is an issue, and a risk, in forums on autism.

Children
No Data