Epilim & autism?

I diddnt know till this evening that this epeleptic drug can cause autism, now though i did not take this when pregnant,do you think this could stay in your system or do something that causes it? i started taking this medication when i was around 15 to the age of 18 and wondering if this possibley could be the cause? however it should have well dissapeared out my system????/

Parents
  • I'm still trying to get a better understanding of the connection between this medication and autism. The trouble is most of the information I can get is American, and sites where there is a UK version, the UK site is a total blank.

Sodium valproate (used in epilim) is to the best of my understanding the same as valproic acid (or devalproex which is converted in the stomach to valproic acid). Valproic acid is used in the treatment of bipolar disorder, migraines and to reduce aggression in children with ADHD. It includes preparations such as Depakote, Depakene, Stavzor, Valparin and Valpro

It apparently works by increasing the production of gamma-aminobuytric acid, which is a neurotransmitter to facilitate connectivity. Its value in treating migraine is in reducing pain by this mechanism. For epilepsy it reduces breaks in connectivity related to the risk of seizures.

The thing is, in America they advise mothers potentially in pregnancy to exercise birth control, ie terminate the pregnancy/avoid getting pregnant while taking this medication. It is known to harm the foetus and cause development problems, which may include spina bifida, bone growth distortions affecting for example face shape, and developmental problems eg autism.

We need to know more about this, and it shouldn't be a lay person, like myself, searching around websites. So I must emphasise I'm just an unqualified adventurer in this and may have got things wrong. But I feel I do need to point out the need for better understanding.

Not least in my mind are the difficulties parents are still having getting diagnoses. Autism still isn't being taken seriously enough, and all the research with electrodes and MRI scans of adults about their word interpretations or daydreams isn't getting us any further forward, even if it does help pay for big expensive labs that might one day make a useful breakthrough.

• I'm still trying to get a better understanding of the connection between this medication and autism. The trouble is most of the information I can get is American, and sites where there is a UK version, the UK site is a total blank.

Sodium valproate (used in epilim) is to the best of my understanding the same as valproic acid (or devalproex which is converted in the stomach to valproic acid). Valproic acid is used in the treatment of bipolar disorder, migraines and to reduce aggression in children with ADHD. It includes preparations such as Depakote, Depakene, Stavzor, Valparin and Valpro

It apparently works by increasing the production of gamma-aminobuytric acid, which is a neurotransmitter to facilitate connectivity. Its value in treating migraine is in reducing pain by this mechanism. For epilepsy it reduces breaks in connectivity related to the risk of seizures.

The thing is, in America they advise mothers potentially in pregnancy to exercise birth control, ie terminate the pregnancy/avoid getting pregnant while taking this medication. It is known to harm the foetus and cause development problems, which may include spina bifida, bone growth distortions affecting for example face shape, and developmental problems eg autism.

We need to know more about this, and it shouldn't be a lay person, like myself, searching around websites. So I must emphasise I'm just an unqualified adventurer in this and may have got things wrong. But I feel I do need to point out the need for better understanding.

Not least in my mind are the difficulties parents are still having getting diagnoses. Autism still isn't being taken seriously enough, and all the research with electrodes and MRI scans of adults about their word interpretations or daydreams isn't getting us any further forward, even if it does help pay for big expensive labs that might one day make a useful breakthrough.

Children
No Data