Hearing every noise

This drives me crazy. I think I can hear noises that others don't and it drives me to distraction. For example, the hum of my boiler keeps me awake and sound of next door's bathroom fan. I obsess about these noises and they distract me from what I'm supposed to be doing. I sit around waiting for specfic things that I know are on a timer :( Does anyone else suffer this? What do you do?

Parents
  • I have the same problem, but I am most affected by background noise when I am in my own space because it feels like an invasion. I associate home with peace and quiet, but I seldom find quietude even at home, and it sometimes feels like there is no-where to hide away from the cacophony of everyday life.

I can cope with noise better if I am in control, there is an escape route, the space is a collective one where noise to some extent is expected, and I am not having to concentrate on other things. If I have to concentrate on something, it does not matter where I am, the noise prevents me from focusing and I get distracted and over-stimulated.

Noise affects me the most when I am tired and already stressed. The worst culprits are complex stimuli that involve noise and movement, such as busy roads with lots of cars, crowds; etc.

I also get overloaded by lawnmowers, people talking, creaking noises and tapping sounds.

• I have the same problem, but I am most affected by background noise when I am in my own space because it feels like an invasion. I associate home with peace and quiet, but I seldom find quietude even at home, and it sometimes feels like there is no-where to hide away from the cacophony of everyday life.

I can cope with noise better if I am in control, there is an escape route, the space is a collective one where noise to some extent is expected, and I am not having to concentrate on other things. If I have to concentrate on something, it does not matter where I am, the noise prevents me from focusing and I get distracted and over-stimulated.

Noise affects me the most when I am tired and already stressed. The worst culprits are complex stimuli that involve noise and movement, such as busy roads with lots of cars, crowds; etc.

I also get overloaded by lawnmowers, people talking, creaking noises and tapping sounds.

Children
No Data