Hypochondria

I was just wondering if anyone else here experiences hypochondria.  I use that word but it may not be the correct one.  As I notice every little thing that is happening within my body, and being nervous about change, I get on edge everytime I notice something different within my body.  Growing up I was always at the doctor with a pain, or something else, and it was always put down to puberty, growing pains, IBS, etc.  But, everytime I notice a change in my body it sends me into an anxious mess until someone can explain why it has happened.  Everytime there is a pain in my head, a swollen gland,  unexplained bruise on my leg, sore joint, I keep looking for answers as to why it has happened.  But, you can't have an answer for everything  :/

I just don't know how to tell the difference between what is normal, or what should be reported on.  At the moment I've become anaemic and my glands are swollen and sore and the doctors just keep saying 'take your iron tablets and you just probably have a virus'.  But I don't have a temperature.  The uncertainty of 'probably just some sort of virus' just puts me over the edge.  It's the same if I'm sick (vomiting), because I don't know why it's happened, when it will stop, when it will happen, but then being nervous about it makes me feel worse!

When I see my usual doctor I feel better around her, but of course I can't spend my life round a doctor.  The doctor says it doesn't help that I don't have friends I can go visit or talk to, to discuss my anxieties.  Anyone else relate to this?

Parents Reply Children
No Data