Autism and gastrointestinal (GI) disorders

I have been doing a lot of reading about this recently, and I am finding more and more that there are potentially significant links between people with autism and people who have gastrointestinal (GI) issues such as gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). 

I am a 32 year old male. I have suffered from acid reflux my whole life due to being born with a hiatus hernia. I am medicated for it, and I have been told that I will always be on medication for it due to the severity of my condition. It gets worse with stress, sleeping in a different position, changes in diet... all sorts of things can trigger it to be worse.

Does anyone else, formally or self-diagnosed with autism, have any issues like this?

Parents
  • I know a few people with problems, one who has a REAL doctor in Italy working with her on these issues. She suddenly had problems after shellfish poisoning and while trying to repair her gut, has encountered all kinds of difficulty getting back to where she was but did go through a week on / off regiment of a very low dose of anti-biotics then probiotics.  I've had unknown dietary issues my whole life. My grandmother would talk about her father's 'stomach problems', so we know it's in the family.

Some time ago I found a bit of research had identified a missing enzyme in certain biologies in relation to "gluten" issues. We do know there is a great deal more gluten in grains today than even 50 years ago. Pesticides and chemicals are causing problems as well as some of these modifications. A new crop of wheat in Mexico has been produced to be drought and insect resistant. And yet, if an insect can't penetrate it, why do we think the human gut can?  

I had cut out gluten nearly 20 years ago, initially a doctor thought it was sugars/yeasts, but found most grains still caused issue. More recently, I've gone from only Oats (which are a different type of grain species) to completely grain/grass/cereal free. Fun fact: sugar cane is a grass related to wheat. The biggest problem is contamination and Cover Crops.

I discovered problems with the Legume family and recently happened across a woman who follows an ancient diet and steers clear of these altogether. I was able to eat a bit a tiny amount of hummus and peanut butter until about 5 years ago, and then no. Same with the entire Mustard Family. Legumes, if not soaked properly rob nutrients, especially minerals, and like the grass family were traditionally animal fodder. Fun fact: The peanut is a bean not a nut! The coffee bean is a cherry pip, vanilla beans and cocoa beans are seeds.

Around the time I went off gluten I also kept noticing Spinach was creating problems. So have also steered clear of Insoluble fibre. 

Refined sugars do seem to create blocks in constitution, dehydration is also a problem I've had to mind. So, I have to keep my salt intake up, a little natural sugar is good for hydration and cranberry or black current also good. Lemons seem to be a one-hit-wonder. They fix gastric issues in a pinch. It seems few understand that Lemons have an alkalising effect neutralising stomach acid. For some reason the term "acid" has been confused even by GPs to mean citrus. 

NEXT: I've found hormone regulation plays a role in being 'regular'. As does a mushroom / nootropic tonic to boost the gut-brain axis. And finally, ensuring I'm getting enough B's and iron.

So, this is probably 30 years of vigilance. My diet includes natural and food-based supplements (herbal hormone balance), mushroom based immune building drops, a multi which is meat based and a pro biotic. 

Omitting Legumes, Grains, Brassicas, I have a diet that appears something between FODMAP meets Paleo: All fruits / berries, anything from the sea, daisy and chicory family lettuces, cucurbits, properly soaked seeds/true nuts, non-toxic fungi, meat. I try to stick to organic since I can eat small and specific. 

• I know a few people with problems, one who has a REAL doctor in Italy working with her on these issues. She suddenly had problems after shellfish poisoning and while trying to repair her gut, has encountered all kinds of difficulty getting back to where she was but did go through a week on / off regiment of a very low dose of anti-biotics then probiotics.  I've had unknown dietary issues my whole life. My grandmother would talk about her father's 'stomach problems', so we know it's in the family.

Some time ago I found a bit of research had identified a missing enzyme in certain biologies in relation to "gluten" issues. We do know there is a great deal more gluten in grains today than even 50 years ago. Pesticides and chemicals are causing problems as well as some of these modifications. A new crop of wheat in Mexico has been produced to be drought and insect resistant. And yet, if an insect can't penetrate it, why do we think the human gut can?  

I had cut out gluten nearly 20 years ago, initially a doctor thought it was sugars/yeasts, but found most grains still caused issue. More recently, I've gone from only Oats (which are a different type of grain species) to completely grain/grass/cereal free. Fun fact: sugar cane is a grass related to wheat. The biggest problem is contamination and Cover Crops.

I discovered problems with the Legume family and recently happened across a woman who follows an ancient diet and steers clear of these altogether. I was able to eat a bit a tiny amount of hummus and peanut butter until about 5 years ago, and then no. Same with the entire Mustard Family. Legumes, if not soaked properly rob nutrients, especially minerals, and like the grass family were traditionally animal fodder. Fun fact: The peanut is a bean not a nut! The coffee bean is a cherry pip, vanilla beans and cocoa beans are seeds.

Around the time I went off gluten I also kept noticing Spinach was creating problems. So have also steered clear of Insoluble fibre. 

Refined sugars do seem to create blocks in constitution, dehydration is also a problem I've had to mind. So, I have to keep my salt intake up, a little natural sugar is good for hydration and cranberry or black current also good. Lemons seem to be a one-hit-wonder. They fix gastric issues in a pinch. It seems few understand that Lemons have an alkalising effect neutralising stomach acid. For some reason the term "acid" has been confused even by GPs to mean citrus. 

NEXT: I've found hormone regulation plays a role in being 'regular'. As does a mushroom / nootropic tonic to boost the gut-brain axis. And finally, ensuring I'm getting enough B's and iron.

So, this is probably 30 years of vigilance. My diet includes natural and food-based supplements (herbal hormone balance), mushroom based immune building drops, a multi which is meat based and a pro biotic. 

Omitting Legumes, Grains, Brassicas, I have a diet that appears something between FODMAP meets Paleo: All fruits / berries, anything from the sea, daisy and chicory family lettuces, cucurbits, properly soaked seeds/true nuts, non-toxic fungi, meat. I try to stick to organic since I can eat small and specific. 

Children