Autism and gastrointestinal (GI) disorders

I have been doing a lot of reading about this recently, and I am finding more and more that there are potentially significant links between people with autism and people who have gastrointestinal (GI) issues such as gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). 

I am a 32 year old male. I have suffered from acid reflux my whole life due to being born with a hiatus hernia. I am medicated for it, and I have been told that I will always be on medication for it due to the severity of my condition. It gets worse with stress, sleeping in a different position, changes in diet... all sorts of things can trigger it to be worse.

Does anyone else, formally or self-diagnosed with autism, have any issues like this?

• I have found this whole thread very interesting, too! I was not expecting to hear from so many people who have similar issues to me as well as being autistic.

Having read a lot of the responses here, it appears that it could have links to stress and anxiety due to being autistic. Co-occurring conditions are easily identified and could easily mask autistic traits. In my case, doctors weren't looking for autistic traits they were looking to treat immediately obvious medical conditions.

• Do you find anything that helps your symptoms when you are having a flare-up?

• I'm sorry to hear that about you and your children. I can relate to iron deficiency even though I have a (mostly) healthy diet; I don't drink alcohol, etc.. 

I imagine I probably have more going on than I know about because it's never been properly looked into. I have always been medicated rather than have anything properly investigated.

I would like to speak to a consultant so I can understand my specific conditions better. Did you get that appointment via the NHS, or was it a private appointment?

• I agree, it is an early warning sign for me, too. My body has the same response as yours when getting stressed. Either reflux or "challenges at the other end", as you beautifully put it Joy

Do you find anything that works to relieve your symptoms? What do you do when you start to notice those initial signs?

I am finding all of this so interesting...

• I am sorry to say I know of his existence only, nothing else about him

• I'm sorry to read that.  Do you like Francis Bacon?

• Don't get me started on mental health issues

I'm very, very tormented and miserable.

I relate to that. This is me...

• I haven't had a drink in years so I don't have that issue anymore.

I've  had more general problems my whole life, as I have been Autistic my whole life.  I've also developed Mental Health issues.  Coeliac disease has left me weak and never wanting to leave the house. I'm very, very tormented and miserable.

• Hello Red82, For how long before your Coeliac diagnosis did you have problems? Coeliac disease has nothing to commend it, in my opinion. The food is expensive and bland. I also have chronically low vitamin B12 levels.

I was diagnosed with Coeliac disease, aged seven, back in the days when not much was known about it. I spent much of those seven years in various hospitals being tested for various maladies as I failed to thrive because on nutrient malabsorbtion. As a consequence, I didn't start school until I was eight years old.

I started drinking when I was eight years old. That Christmas I got drunk for the first time! By the time I hit my teen years I started drinking more to help with my social anxiety. It didn't help. I would start drinking and continue drinking until I had passed out. Then I would wake and be violently ill, vomiting everywhere. Let me tell you that being a vomiting drunk is not socially advantageous. I realized once I started I had no "off" switch. I could never recall the drinking only the waking and vomiting. Once, after an evening's drinking and vomiting I returned home. On the way I stopped and laid in the middle lane of the A4 in London and waited for the end.

The next day I realized I had a major problem -one of many. My new year's resolution that year was to stop drinking. It didn't help with my social anxiety. I was 15 years old and I have kept that resolution through some very dark times.

A couple of years later my alcoholic mother died in a pub! The North Star - the star that guides one home.Oh, the irony.

I can empathize with your Coeliac situation and your alcoholism.

I was diagnosed with ASC earlier this year aged 65.At this stage of my life I am back in the middle lane of the A4 in waiting for the end, figuratively speaking. As that sage Bobby McFerrin one opined, "Don't worry, be happy" Slight smile

There's a line from a song I like that resonates with me: "Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"...but not yet, in my case.

• Hello Nemo. I've only had it about 5 years but it has added to my problems exponentially.  I had severe problems before all this ,of course.

• I've heard you can drink Wine with it.  Red wine only isn't it?  I'm a recovering alcoholic so I best not do that.

• Very interested to hear that so many people here also have reflux problems. I developed a hiatus hernia at 30 (12 years ago) and been on medication ever since. I didn’t know I was autistic back then and all I could find about it was that it generally affected people over 60 or overweight, neither of which I was so it’s always been a bit of a mystery to me. Had no idea it may have a connection with autism - perhaps brought on by the constant anxiety or something

• me too , i was diagnosed with aspergers back in 2018 and have had reoccuring stomach issues since 2017 , been back and fourth with doctors  reflux issues and stomach pains which have lead to multiple a&e visits , tests and and even a camera showed  no signs of anything severe  . 
    i have noticed when im stressed my symptoms flare up and vice versa

• I’m autistic and both of my adult children are autistic. My eldest has had long standing and quite serious GI problems - to the extent that he gets seriously underweight and has iron deficiency etc. it’s been a huge problem for him. He has a very healthy and varied diet. My youngest has a very limited and unhealthy diet due to issues with food relating to his autism - and that affects him. But he doesn’t have the same serious issues as my eldest. I get very affected by stress - it upsets my stomach. My eldest’s Consultant talked him about the ‘gut/brain axis’ - which seems to be a key aspect of all of this. It definitely seems to be a common problem for autistic people. Hopefully one day they’ll be more research and support for this. 

• I have  Coeliac's Disease too, The food is so much more expensive,  I do missed drinking lager I've had to change to drinking wine lol

• Another up-vote here for the stress theory. When I’m settled, calm and not triggered or obsessing negatively about things - essentially ‘well’ from a mental viewpoint - I notice a very happy and settled digestion. When my mental state is not good it’s the opposite either with reflux or let’s just call them “challenges” at the other end of my digestive tract. I have been tested for the various digestive conditions and the very serious illness that can develop and thankfully I am negative. I believe this is all stress related. And as an autistic, I do get stressed or make myself stressed more than I should. For me the best treatment is to try to avoid all the stressors. To me the link is now so obvious that I can use my digestion as an early warning system of stress levels rising. 

• I have extremely fast digestion since birth and so does my autistic father. No cause has been found. I can control it a little by eating a very bland limited fiber diet and avoiding stimulants like caffeine but it never slows down to the extent of a normal person. It is difficult to keep weight on.

've tested negative for celiac multiple times and ruled out specific food allergies by cutting back to just white rice and water and then testing ingredients one at a time over about s year.

I apparently have no inflammation.

• As a fellow Coeliac, I agree 100%.

• That sounds similar to my state.  You have my sympathies.

• I suffer from a lack of energy too. I am anaemic and some of the medication I take deprives me of other things like B12 among other things that also make me very tired all the time.