Regulating Sound - Earbuds, Headphones, Loops , etc

I am looking for suggestions for potential solutions to one of my biggest triggers - SOUND.

I am usually ok with loud sounds such as music, aircraft (eg at an air show), concerts and the like....just as long as I am expecting / aware of the high volumes.
Certain sounds such as children screaming / shouting, sudden unexpected sound, high frequency sound are what I struggle with.

I have a pair of Engage Loop ear plugs that I wear at times, such as in the supermarket, but they are not perfect.
Having conversations whilst wearing them can be difficult as it is difficult to hear the person that I am talking with, plus my own voice is amplified internally although externally I heed to talk louder. I find that loop earplugs can irritate my ears, especially if worn for long periods. I have used earbuds for listening to music in the gym, but they also irritate my ears so I now tend to use headphones instead. 

I recently had a meltdown / non epileptic seizure during a Yoga class of all places!
What happened is we were near the end of the class during which we practice relaxation. The gym have been having problems with the sound system and on this occasion the supposed relaxing music was way too loud. I tried to get the attention of the instructor (failed), covered my ears, but it was still too much and I just lost it. Not a pleasant experience for me or the others in the class as I was laying there having a massive seizure and nobody knew what was happening or what t do.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me.
What I am looking for is a solution whereby I can

• Maintain a noise / volume level - anything that is louder than the set level will be quietened to the desire level
  • Reduce certain frequencies (high / mid-high)
  • Engage in clear conversations with others
  • Reduce / cut out other sounds or back ground noise so that I can truly focus on what I am trying to hear (I can struggle with hearing due to tinnitus which can get quite bad at times) 
  • I haven't looked into hearing aids, but suspect that they would be a problem for me if they are worn "in ear" and I imagine that you have to wear them all day
  • I use a pair of "over ear" (wider than the "on ear" type) active noise-cancelling headphones.

One feature about this version which I value is that there is an extra button on the bottom of the right headphone cup which means you can toggle through the active noise-cancelling mode: on / transparent mode / off.  This means if I am concerned about something in my environment I can turn it off and listen to the whole scene, or if I need to speak with someone in front of me - I can put it into transparent mode so I a) don't get the muffled internal head voice experience and b) I can hear properly all that the person says.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RUNOLIM-Cancelling-Headphones-Bluetooth-Microphone-Black/dp/B0C8SJSL9H/ref=sr_1_1?crid=T2PVKVYY2YZE&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.UZ2Xf1szol2CUhvgbXB2Aw.coOgCjJs6EkCcwTJ8ajm2rqPyJhASbIYyf1AzBpIa1g&dib_tag=se&keywords=B0C8SJSL9H&qid=1723730780&sprefix=b0c8sjsl9h%2Caps%2C1054&sr=8-1 

• Hmmm. What an odd response... :) Just reposting my opening sentance for you!

I work in sound.

I have 20 years of trying all things ear-related out. I'm happy with my current choice for specific reasons. My delicate ears are only a 'challenge' in urban society. But they are an asset in my work. 

• It sounds like you're dealing with a lot of challenges when it comes to sound sensitivity. I’ve found that some adaptive noise-canceling headphones can really help manage these triggers, especially if you’re looking for something that can filter out specific frequencies while still allowing you to hear conversations. You might also want to explore custom earplugs that offer a better fit and less irritation. It's all about finding what works best for you.

• I work in sound. I can tell you that certain sources, such as some of the top tier amplifiers and speakers, when turned WAY up sound incredibly balanced and oddly pleasant. But cheap ones, even at low levels are painful. 

A few decades ago I walked past a section in a public library with older books on Sonic Warfare. This was before cinemas had transitioned to digital, before overall levels in society were much too loud. This link has a nice summary https://decibelpro.app/blog/can-sound-kill-you/#:~:text=of%20prolonged%20exposure)-,Sounds%20That%20Can%20Kill%20You%20On%20The%20Spot,infrasound%20especially%20at%207%20Hz

This is another good link https://www.health.belgium.be/en/ultrasound-and-high-frequency-sound#:~:text=High%20frequency%20sound%20causes%20two,%2C%20fatigue%2C%20dizziness%20and%20nausea.

I was in a cafe months back and started feeling dizzy. The toilets were in another part of the building and having felt a bit better after stepping out I returned and immediately felt the same light vertigo. This time I paid attention to the sound, and brought it up with the bartender who said some of the staff can hear it, there's a broken wire in the sound system. 

Most of what we have problems with are from human-designed objects, poorly made or even from sitting in an untreated room flooded with painful reverberation. I think it's important to remember, lights and sound are used as weaponry and for torture. Just because the Non-Autistic can desensitise, doesn't mean it's an evolutionary advantage. They'll go deaf and blind like the rest of us, but simply don't notice. I know too many younger adults already deaf in at least one ear. Disappointed

I've been using the Standard Fit of these for decades as well https://www.handheldaudio.co.uk/shop/etymotic-er20-ety-plugs/ They're made for musicians. But you can go ones step further and have some made to fit your ear canal or, use a company like this https://minervahearing.co.uk/product/musicplugs/

• Consider using adaptive sound technology or noise-canceling headphones that allow you to set volume limits and filter frequencies. Some options include specialized hearing aids with adjustable settings or sound therapy devices designed to help with sensitivity. Also, you might want to explore custom earplugs that provide comfort while allowing for conversation.

• I find that loop earplugs can irritate my ears, especially if worn for long periods.

If in-ear solutions will not work for you then your only option is bulky over ear headphones which tend to make your ears very sweaty.

All solutions are likely to cause the internal voice to be very loud - this comes from creating an internal echo chamber effect so is unlikely to be avoided.

Reduce / cut out other sounds or back ground noise so that I can truly focus on what I am trying to hea

How can you tell the headphones what you want to cut out though? Most will work on detecting voices and allowing these through while trying to eliminate anything that meets the threshold of "environmental noise".

Also with switching between listening to music and trying to have a conversation, I'm not use the headphones can do that in the way you want - you probably need to take them off while talking to someone in front of you.

From your other criteria, these are pretty standard so looking at something from the Anker Soundcore range should meet your requirements - best to have a good look at online reviews and shop about as there is a lot of choice of models.

Read the reviews on Amazon before buying as I see people reporting the sweaty ear issue a lot. I don't see much coverage of being able to use them for face to face conversations either, but I didn't spend a lot of time on this.

I also read that total silence can make your tinnitus feel worse, so it may be worth disabling the noise cancellation when you have it and allow the sound through, but dulled by the headphones physically.