Claiming PIP - Cleaning

Hi there,

I have Asperger's and I have a lot of trouble cleaning, my house is a right tip. It's probably unhealthy to live there. While undergoing a PIP assessment would they take this into consideration?

I just can't do it and it gets me down.

Mike

Parents
  • I attended a PIP benefit Webinar last week, run by Citizens Advice (I think they were based in Sussex, if my memory serves me right?!). They discussed things which do not fit into the specific questions, but ways in which you can include them within one or multiple areas of the form. They also advised that a difficulty which affects multiple areas of your daily living and/or mobility, repeat these throughout each question in which it is applicable to - it doesn't matter whether you link one specific difficulty to every question, if it affects those areas of your life.  

I would have thought, particularly if you can demonstrate within the PIP assessments that you have huge difficulty in this area, and that it poses a risk to you by living this way, you absolutely should discuss this within your PIP. 
    It may be helpful if you have any evidence to back this up - A report or a comment made by a professional through services you've engaged with - or someone who knows you (carer, friend, neighbour - they can all submit statements regarding your struggles which PIP must use to make a decision).

I can't see why you cannot include photographs of your home as evidence you are submitting, to give them a snapshot of exactly what this means for you - although you would need to explain why you have used a photo, and explain that this is the state of your home, due to your chronic difficulties in maintaining cleanliness and tidiness.
    But do always link every difficulty you face to your condition(s) and explain why this happens i.e. Due to my Aspergers, I have problems with... (e.g. memory? executive functioning?) and this means that... (e.g. I struggle to tidy things away, clean up after myself). Then explain how this impacts you and what it means... (e.g. health and/or safety implications? prevents you doing things? Makes things harder? Things take longer?) etc.  

I would perhaps elaborate upon this and extend it to include specific information and examples for each section in the assessment that it applies to. Possible areas you could include this difficulty:
    While preparing a meal, how does your inability to clean/tidy impact upon the safety aspect or completion of preparing a meal for yourself?
    How does this difficulty impact upon your ability to wash and bathe?
    Does it impact your ability or extend the time in which it takes you to get dressed?

Don't forget question 15! You can put anything and everything else here, too - although I would certainly try to think of how everything you discuss within this question can be linked to each specific question. 

I wish you the best of luck and hope you get the right support you need Slight smile

• You are more than welcome. I hated filling in the PIP and DLA forms for my three neurodivergent children. It took weeks for me to complete each one. I wish I'd had the support and knowledge prior to completing them that the webinar provided - but we live and learn!
    Take care!

• You are more than welcome. I hated filling in the PIP and DLA forms for my three neurodivergent children. It took weeks for me to complete each one. I wish I'd had the support and knowledge prior to completing them that the webinar provided - but we live and learn!
    Take care!

Children
No Data